The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Friend's 3406c cam got wrecked because the lifter keeper broke and lifter turned sideways in the bore. We are going to try and tackle it ourselves and I'm wondering if there is anything we can do as far as an upgrade since we are buying a new cam anyway. Would a B model cam be better? The rest of the engine is all stock. It's a 8pn serial number, has about 10000 miles on new jugs, pistons and bearings. Another thing, we pulled the front cover off and some of the front timing gears are aftermarket and the compressor gear's got some play. Would you guys recommend putting all OEM timing gears back in or what? The truck was a repo that he bought really cheap so he figured he would have to stick some money into it. Thanks, and keep up the good work fellas. Your help is MUCH appreciated.

·
205 Posts
I will stick my neck out here and take a guess what Tony will say here. if you have a C that has not bean converted to a B ( pump, advance, nozzels, and cylinder packs ) you need to put the stock cam back in with new lifter and retainers. The gears are up to your prefrence. Thats just what i woud do if i was you.

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
I will stick my neck out here and take a guess what Tony will say here. if you have a C that has not bean converted to a B ( pump, advance, nozzels, and cylinder packs ) you need to put the stock cam back in with new lifter and retainers. The gears are up to your prefrence. Thats just what i woud do if i was you.
Rite on unless it's a 350. In that case we will change cams. The only extra thing is change the main idler bushing to the 131-7123 brass E model bushing. The rest stays the same. Don't forget to use the "K" shadow marks when you time it. You'll know when you see it. ;)

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK. Sounds good. It's a 425 so I guess we'll get a new stock cam and change all the lifters and keepers. So the E model bushing is an upgrade? Are these prone to failure? Yeah I see the K marks on the gear so that makes sense to me but the pump doesen't have any timing marks on it. Is there anything we need to know about timing the pump? We just marked it with a sharpee. Thanks alot guys!

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We pinned the pump and the crank at TDC so we should be able to just line everything else up and put her back together right? I figure he's going to get it meter timed after we get it running again. Never been in the timing gears before so this is all new to me.

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
We pinned the pump and the crank at TDC so we should be able to just line everything else up and put her back together right? I figure he's going to get it meter timed after we get it running again. Never been in the timing gears before so this is all new to me.
Not too bad. Make a 6" long starter dowl to hang the advance back on. Hand tighten the 5/16" bolt idler plate. ABSOLUTELY replace the gasket on the spacer and accy drive gasket and orings. Check the advance. Buy that Cat grooved lifter starter, not the one with the stick and T-Bar, and a long round headed punch. Ya, the brass bushing is an upgrade, but yours is chewed anyway. Spray Hitack both the plate back and gasket, but tear out a 1/4" of the gasket at the very inside bottom of the oilgally circle to drain off any oil plug leak, then hitack the front cover face and gasket also, but don't forget to Black silicone the bottom of the gasket where you cut it flush. And yep, TDC it and tear it to pieces. ;)

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Tony. Yeah I thought there would be some tricks to getting that whole front cover and accessories to seal up good. Right now we are waiting for parts so I'll let you know how it goes.:happymugs

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We got the front all put together and the cover back on. Everything looks good. We changed all the bushings and that one "made in india" idler gear that drives the compressor. All Cat parts so that should do it. As far as the lifters, we popped them out with a long needle nose plier, would you recommend buying the Cat tool to reinstall them or can I just use the plier again?

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
We got the front all put together and the cover back on. Everything looks good. We changed all the bushings and that one "made in india" idler gear that drives the compressor. All Cat parts so that should do it. As far as the lifters, we popped them out with a long needle nose plier, would you recommend buying the Cat tool to reinstall them or can I just use the plier again?
ABSOLUTELY buy the $20 wedge style installer. It is priceless, and yes you can weld an 1/8" stripped welding rod to it and bend it to and angle for a handle. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts