The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my 3zj I'm overhauling originally had a square port head and manifold. I just bought a CAT round port head after taking response/spool/performance into consideration. Now is there a round port b/c model exhaust manifold or do i need to go straight to an E manifold? I've been searching the net all weekend for a round port non-E manifold and found nothing. I have to get something bought/shipped tomorrow hopefully to get this running this week. I've read alot on putting an E manifold on this head and if so should I put the sleeves in also?

·
292 Posts
It's the same as an e-manifold - did you figure out the problem with the motor? Shur a lot of work to have to tare down again- all the info is on here, all you have to do is search on the top right- sleeves I don't know- some say no with ported after market manifold

·
1,811 Posts
Ok my 3zj I'm overhauling originally had a square port head and manifold. I just bought a CAT round port head after taking response/spool/performance into consideration. Now is there a round port b/c model exhaust manifold or do i need to go straight to an E manifold? I've been searching the net all weekend for a round port non-E manifold and found nothing. I have to get something bought/shipped tomorrow hopefully to get this running this week. I've read alot on putting an E manifold on this head and if so should I put the sleeves in also?
E/C15 manifold is what you want. Yes, use the sleeve/gasket combo

·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the same as an e-manifold - did you figure out the problem with the motor? Shur a lot of work to have to tare down again- all the info is on here, all you have to do is search on the top right- sleeves I don't know- some say no with ported after market manifold
The piston rings were all very worn, and on three exhaust ports you could see oil running down the valve stems. The pistons don't look bad as far as I can tell. The liners are very smooth, like no cross hatch and there is a decent amount of pitting on the coolant side of the liners. I was considering just new rings and a new head but like you said don't want to have to tear it down again. It had ALOT of steady blowby, my wife thought it was on fire one time it was idling, even with a new air compressor. So I'm hoping its just wore out cylinders and them valve guides letting oil through.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts