The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 3406c and theres something wrong in the number 6 cylinder im planning on pulling it apart and seeing whats going on in there and rebuilding it so i have a few questions what do you think about ipd rebuild kits? what performance mods would you recommend for 700hp?(injectors,turbo,air to air, cam) i want to convert it over to mechanical i think i can get my hands on a B model pump and timing advance what other parts off a B model would i need? and do you think i should get the pump sent off and gone threw should i do any mods to the pump itself? do you think the engine would be reliable? and what transmission would you recommend to hold that much power in a 13 speed

thanks

·
2,555 Posts
Marine pistons, matching nozzles ,pump to match nozzles , Duralite or OEM Acert cac 22913 or 18 trans and at least 2050 clutch, BW 199119 or 123

Or better yet wait to see what Tony says,

·
23 Posts
I would be curious to see that parts list too. I have a 3zj also that is getting close to OH. If I want a monster shouldnt an older pump(7fb?)be used also isnt there a 14.5 two piece piston available? just curious for opinions. Hope im not hijackin thread thanks

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
I would be curious to see that parts list too. I have a 3zj also that is getting close to OH. If I want a monster shouldnt an older pump(7fb?)be used also isnt there a 14.5 two piece piston available? just curious for opinions. Hope im not hijackin thread thanks
It's actually a 14.6/1 marine unit, but all the same. Just hafta watch matching nozzles to the higher bowl area. Really needs late model (2800psi) nozzles instead of the early 7000 series. ;) (and I'm having a hell of a time finding the dam number for some reason. Forgot what it was, and it's not easy to find on SIS with no prefix. I feel stupid right now for it :bdh )

·
2,555 Posts
It's actually a 14.6/1 marine unit, but all the same. Just hafta watch matching nozzles to the higher bowl area. Really needs late model (2800psi) nozzles instead of the early 7000 series. ;) (and I'm having a hell of a time finding the dam number for some reason. Forgot what it was, and it's not easy to find on SIS with no prefix. I feel stupid right now for it :bdh )
Now I don't feel like such a numbskull. we need a marine "C" engine number

·
2,555 Posts
I will try it with that prefex, see where it goes, Tony is away for a while as far as I know.

·
2,555 Posts
Did some digging found some 510 hp marine will look for something rated higher and get some numbers :night

Reactions: hhsmd247

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
how much power do you think you can make with the marine nozzles?
Stock nozzles add 50+. Extrudes add 100 and above.

Pistons kits are an 0R3783. I found actual 14.5's in all aluminum. Good to 750hp, and uses the big C rod :)
Use nozzles 0R8785
Add double oilers 7W4990
Standard 0R3674 head (sqaure port be nice)
Use the 3012 cam out of the B. (buy new lifter springs. Use the best rollers from either engine)
New adapters 4P1397
STD rods and mains for the Serial your building
New spacer plate (if you want).
5P5946 and 5P8068 sump orings instead of the 109 series.
Max the rack and time at 20* at 1000rpm, start screw at 1260rpm, remove stop screw.

She'll do 625+ on the ground, maybe more with gov tricks, and should run low 6's. (sorry so long to get back to you) ;)

·
2,555 Posts
I was given one a while back. Don't know if its a C or not, haven't got to research it yet. Maybe you guys can!
4tb04808 Arrg: 110-9525
that should be a C , 540 hp

1 - 20 of 27 Posts