The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 96 3406E with a busted crank at the rear. Haven't gotten the truck apart yet. What is my chances that the block is cracked? They drove it 60 miles with it broken and the shop diaged it as a bad clutch. The truck is not here yet which is why I felt to ask before I dive head first and get it half apart for no reason. Also how what is the best way to drop that massive crank out of the block in the frame? I don't really want to overhaul it as it was just done 300K ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok we got the truck to our place and the crank is broken at the rear journal. Appears to have just killed the bearing but the block looks ok. What is the best route to take to get this thing out? Should we pull the engine and pull the crank or try to pull it with the engine in the truck? I bought this this as a project so just trying to find the quickest way to do this. Any help is appreciated!

·
255 Posts
The engine has to come out.
Front and rear structure has to come off the engine to get crank out. Your not going to do that in the truck.

Sounds like a compleat disassembly is in order.
If your thinking a quick fix its not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't think it was going to be a quick fix. Can you tell me how I can run this engine on a test stand? I don't need throttle response but I sourced a whole engine for $3000. Crank from CAT or aftermarket is about the same so we'll swap engines and rebuild this one later. Before we stick the new one in I want to check oil pressure and blow-by so what is the simplest way to do that.

·
156 Posts
You can run it on the test stand if you supply power and ground to the ecm as well as keyed signal. I would advise on having the engine bolted down and secured good because it would jump on startup. hook up a manual oil pressure gauge and have at it. It might be faster the just put the engine into the truck first then fire it up in the truck vs doing all the work and plumbing to see if it runs on the floor. Swinging an engine in doesn't take too long anyway

1 - 6 of 6 Posts