The Diesel Garage banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Trained Monkey
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A properly tuned c-15 will out pull a c-16 and be a little easier on fuel.

The 2ws and 7cz are both very desirable models ...

I'd be more worried about the milage on those trucks. Especially being out in the middle of nowhere.......

P.S. A well set up acert in a newer (lower milage) truck wouldn't be a bad choice...
I am looking at a 2006 W900L tomorrow. What would one have to change to not have issues with one of the newer trucks? I see J&S advertises a single turbo conversion kit in the Land Line magazine. Is that something that should be done or is it just a different program in the ECM and keep the twin turbo? I was trying to go 2003 and older, but this truck is cheaper than all the pre emission trucks since everybody wants to go pre 2003. It is close by and I figured it might be worth a look. It has about 860,000mls on it.

·
18 Posts
I am looking at a 2006 W900L tomorrow. What would one have to change to not have issues with one of the newer trucks? I see J&S advertises a single turbo conversion kit in the Land Line magazine. Is that something that should be done or is it just a different program in the ECM and keep the twin turbo? I was trying to go 2003 and older, but this truck is cheaper than all the pre emission trucks since everybody wants to go pre 2003. It is close by and I figured it might be worth a look. It has about 860,000mls on it.
Single turbo conversions are very expensive and have varying results, a 2006 with an MXS or NXS CAT is a great engine, a bit of tuning and you will gain 0.5-0.8mpg and have a lot more power, keep the oil clean and you wont have problems with the VVA's, find a good CAT mecanic that knows how to do overhead adjustment thats actually out of spec, that will net you some power and less risk of VVA issues. I'm running an 07 MXS 550 in a W9, ecm tuned at 700+ hp, getting 6.5mpg, bought truck 14 months ago and did ecm tune almost at purchase I have had zero issues, normal maintenance is all

·
18 Posts
If i knew the specs of my overhead i would tell you, all i know is my Cat expert backed off my VVA's and did some on other parts of overhead, some he backed of some he went tighter. He is one of the top Mecanics at Hewitt CAT in Montreal and they do this in house

·
Trained Monkey
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Single turbo conversions are very expensive and have varying results, a 2006 with an MXS or NXS CAT is a great engine, a bit of tuning and you will gain 0.5-0.8mpg and have a lot more power, keep the oil clean and you wont have problems with the VVA's, find a good CAT mecanic that knows how to do overhead adjustment thats actually out of spec, that will net you some power and less risk of VVA issues. I'm running an 07 MXS 550 in a W9, ecm tuned at 700+ hp, getting 6.5mpg, bought truck 14 months ago and did ecm tune almost at purchase I have had zero issues, normal maintenance is all
What kind of tune are you running?

·
18 Posts
What kind of tune are you running?
Im running a bullydog, I looked at PDI and Diesel Spec here in Canada but opted for the Bullydog as you can return tune to stock if you have to go to a shop for service (my engine has a 4yr unlimited mile warraty) they say bot PDI and Diesel spec tunes cant be detected by plugging into ecm as a tech would have to read code line by line or if put on a dyno but i still was not sold as if a rambunctious tech decides to upgrade your ecm and wipe your tune i'd be out $2500, with a bullydog its as simple as plugging back in the truck, the 30% tune i'm running is not on the BD when you buy it but its a simple phone call awayand all new custom tunes are free as once you buy the tuner the rest is free, if the tune you get is to aggresive or builds heat, call BD and adjustments can be made, my mpg gains are 0.7mpg from same period last year, not earth shattering but dont forget i have 700+hp on tap.... all in all the only thing i regret is not having 1 years ago...veRY SATISFIED

·
292 Posts
Im running a bullydog, I looked at PDI and Diesel Spec here in Canada but opted for the Bullydog as you can return tune to stock if you have to go to a shop for service (my engine has a 4yr unlimited mile warraty) they say bot PDI and Diesel spec tunes cant be detected by plugging into ecm as a tech would have to read code line by line or if put on a dyno but i still was not sold as if a rambunctious tech decides to upgrade your ecm and wipe your tune i'd be out $2500, with a bullydog its as simple as plugging back in the truck, the 30% tune i'm running is not on the BD when you buy it but its a simple phone call awayand all new custom tunes are free as once you buy the tuner the rest is free, if the tune you get is to aggresive or builds heat, call BD and adjustments can be made, my mpg gains are 0.7mpg from same period last year, not earth shattering but dont forget i have 700+hp on tap.... all in all the only thing i regret is not having 1 years ago...veRY SATISFIED
Did you dyno this 700hp? Or are you going off what it says on the box??

·
18 Posts
Did you dyno this 700hp? Or are you going off what it says on the box??
Lets put it this way, my cousin has a very strong 625 mxs that dyno'ed 570 at the wheels, if im running the standard 18% tune I run circles around him, with my 30% custom tune im
In a whole different level... no I havent dyno'd it yet but trust me I want to...wether you beleive me or not I dont much care

·
Jdub63
62 Posts
frame

I don't know if anyone told you, but W-9's have a bad habit of breaking the frame on the drivers side front leaf spring, above the rear spring shackle.
I know of at least 5, that have had this problem.

·
Jdub63
62 Posts
True, however this is a design flaw, as it cracks thru a bolt hole in the lower flange of the frame. Lots of things break when abused, however mine broke on a highway only truck, that was not abused and he asked what to look for when buying a truck
. That was my opinion, loved my KW, didn't like the 2 weeks and 4200 dollars to get it fixed

·
Registered
3 Posts
you can polish a turd all day and it’s just a shiny turd I would hang on the 3406E c15 lots of hp options tried and true you can make the 16 do the same it’s all about the almighty $$$ how deep is your pocket

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am gonna disagree on the out pulling. A c-16 has more bore and stroke therefore more power potential period. I would get the c15 or e model for the popularity and familiarity. No replacement for displacement.
HOLD ON THIER JUST A MOMENT,.... YOUR IN FOR A SURPRISE I THINK,...BORE AND STROKE ONLY ACCOUNT FOR VOLUME , NOT HORSEPOWER OR TORQUE, ANGLE OF INJECTOR, BOWEL IN PISTON , VALVE TIMEING AND A HOST OF OTHER THINGS INCLUDING THE DESIGN OF THE TURBO AND THE BLA BLA BLA, THE ECM PROGRAM IS A HUGE FACTOR,
THE C16 VERY WELL MAY OR MAY NOT BE BIGGER STRONGER BETTER, BUT I BET IT ALSO HAS MORE CAST TO HAUL AROUND

21 - 33 of 33 Posts