The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally hooked up the check engine/warning lights. Now they seem to be working fine, however I have a couple questions.

I have acess to a code reader but it takes a day or two to borrow it. I am wondering if there is any way to pull/read the codes from a "E" model using the check/warning lamps? If so, is the a code list posted somewhere?

The last thing which seems odd to me is the check/warning lamps both light when the key is on/engine not running. Once engine is started the check/warning lamps go out, the check light goes out imediatly upon startup, the warning lamps goes out once oil pressure is above 30 psi. At an idle neither lamp is lit. At a high idle neither lamp is lit. When driving down the road however the check light flickers. It doesn't flash on and off as if it is throwing a code, it seems to flicker as if there is a bad connection in the wiring and you are driving on a really rough road.

Any thoughts?

Temp seems to run 195-200* and oil pressure when pulling holds 51-53 psi, cruising it is 56-57 psi. Cold it is 58-60 psi. I know that these run less oil pressure than an old "B" model but should it run that low?

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Upon further running the truck, the flickering has subsided to a "sometimes" occurance. Now when pulling, the light is on steady and sometimes shuts off when shifting, then shortly after stepping back into the throttle the light turns back on.

I am thinking that the fuel filters need to be changed.

Any other thaughts on this?

·
128 Posts
It wouldn't have anything to do with fuel filters. Cat ecms don't monitor fuel pressure.

I also have a truck with the CEL and SEL on but they are on steady and for no reason. No codes and everything runs great and in spec.

Someone told me that it could be due to a bad coolant temp sensor that is seperate from the temp sensor the ecm uses but I have no found any issues with it yet. You could check the wiring for that maybe.

·
631 Posts
You can get the flash codes from the ECM using the cruise control switches. Turn the ignition key to the ON position. The ON/OFF for Cruise Control switch needs to be in the OFF position. Take the SET/RESUME switch for the Cruise Control and hold it in the SET position for 3 seconds. When you release the SET switch it will activate the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT to give you the flash codes stored in the ECM. Count the flashes. If nothing is stored in the ECM it will flash 5 times pause and flash 5 times..........this is code 55 and means everything is normal. If while you were doing this conversion you supplied 12volts to the ECM without having the engine harness plugged into the ECM..............you're going to have a number of codes. The first code the ECM flashes will be the most current or active code at the moment.

The fuel pressure and fuel filters isn't the problem, as underpsi stated.........the ECM doesn't monitor fuel pressure

With your discription of the light coming and going with throttle input and engine load it could be related to the Boost Sensor or Atmospheric Pressure Sensor

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Mr. Haney!!!

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I there a way to clear the codes or will they reset once the problem has been fixed (ie bad sensor)?

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only code was a 55.:damnit

Back to square one with borrowing a scanner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts