The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever purchased anything from JAI MU Turbochargers? i was wondering about their reliability. They are quite a bit less expensive than rebuilts, and they say they have all new parts with a 1 year warranty. the rep I spoke with says they sell a lot of these replacement cat turbos with few returns. They don't even want your core!

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
Has anyone ever purchased anything from JAI MU Turbochargers? i was wondering about their reliability. They are quite a bit less expensive than rebuilts, and they say they have all new parts with a 1 year warranty. the rep I spoke with says they sell a lot of these replacement cat turbos with few returns. They don't even want your core!
I've used a couple. Not a bad product and no probs with anything. And if they say "performance" you can bet money it'll have a couple more psi boost. Both times for me. The C12 version is a nice piece, tho the castings don't look exceptionally purdy.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I might give them a try. Maybe cat won't notice it's not an oem! I got a little warranty left, and don't want to mess it up!

·
2,555 Posts
:sprayw

·
128 Posts
Thanks. I might give them a try. Maybe cat won't notice it's not an oem! I got a little warranty left, and don't want to mess it up!
Just a little caution with that... if you want to make it look like the factory turbo you should at least change the compressor housing as the factory cat ones usually have cat stamped right into the casting where most aftermarkets do not.

Also if you still have warranty, why are you buying a turbo elsewhere and not getting it covered under warranty?

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Warranty is on the engine overhaul; turbo still works ok, but is getting weak, with 1,100,000 miles on it. Figured I could find a rebuilt cheaper than cat wanted for a replacement at the time!

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone ever use a stage 1 from michigan turbos? I am not going to change my hp, so it may be a waste or time, but they said it would increase my economy. Got a 475 3406E, and was curious how much boost I can expect.

·
128 Posts
Michigan Turbo's Stage 1 turbo is suppose to be a BorgWarner 198123, this is an old design. They are apparently very sluggish and after reading what I have about them they're suppose to be better suited for the mechanicals for some reason. I couldn't see how it would help you at all for mileage especially being stock. Sounds like they just wanna sell you something.

·
631 Posts
CAT will not deny your engine warranty for a non OEM turbo as long as the ECM hasn't been played with.

The Michigan Stage 1 is a BorgWarner 198123, with this being a 475, you don't want to use it. It's very slow to spool and has a large exhaust housing, you'll lose some jake brake strength with it as well.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
K, thanks guys. I may just try that Jai Mu turbo. If it goes south, i'll still have my old one to fall back on!

·
18 Posts
Anyone ever use a stage 1 from michigan turbos? I am not going to change my hp, so it may be a waste or time, but they said it would increase my economy. Got a 475 3406E, and was curious how much boost I can expect.
If you want better MPG's run the stock E charger, and run it up to 550/1850 ( if you have the trans). This is known to all that have an E model. Driver for driver the 550 program gets better mileage... The stock gated housing lets you work down low.. 1150-1300 The only time my E is over 1300 is when I'm in a hurry or stuck:nunu:

Reactions: Nimalex

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
LOL from where?...
Hey wildman, just kidding ya:happymugs
Dave, I was up north 200 doing my first 750HP de-ACERT twinner. It was a lot of work and took a while with wires and stuff but it turned out cool as hell. When it's painted I'll have him post it. He's a member here. It's cool with a 6NZ rocker box sittin behind twins on a ported cooler ACERT(was). I'll have him post dyno and MPG numbers when it's dialed in :)

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
Gee, I thought I was the only one up way too early! Thanks!
Hey bud I just followed this back and I for some reason thought you had a C12. Don't use that number I gave you cause it won't work for and E!!! And I can't speak for their bigger windmills. I've only bought the C12 one as it's the cheapest performance one I could find. :(

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ynot, I realized that you were talking about a c-12. Thanks for the advice, and I ordered one for my 3406E.

Cowtruck, my 475 gets 1 mpg better on the average than our 550s. I think it's because I drop a gear and slow down when it gets windy, which is a lot here in south dakota! We have the big 9 car transports! Since I locked my waste gate closed on my sick turbo (while waiting for my new one), it's like i have a totally different truck! Since i only run the plains, 475 is more than enough hp (for now) since fuel is turning into gold again!

I do have a question about exhaust; I am looking for better flowing mufflers and custom pipes (like side pipes), and any search I do only gets me pickup stuff! Does anyone have any info on performance mufflers?

·
Registered
43 Posts
If your lookin for some good mufflers. I bought some for my bridge c15, the are start through but have 4 inches of mulling on top and bottom. But looks stock and sounds a little louder, and lost about 100 egt's. I think they were called walker mufflers 150 a side

1 - 20 of 21 Posts