The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my 1987 359 Classic #256 I bought in 1993 pulling flatbed running lower 48. In 1995 I decided to go local hauling grain and thought it was to nice of a truck to subject to gravel roads. I sold it and missed it right away. Sorry for the pic quality, i took pics of old 35mm photos.[ATT View attachment 28166 ACH]28165[/ATTACH]

It was almost 3 years to the date later after I sold it I was going by a salvage yard in Denver and they had a 359 setting up front. I went back to look at it, when I got there I saw the Classic 359 badge under the door. I thought this looked like my old truck, I opened the door and looked at the vin, IT WAS MY OLD TRUCK!!!! I think it was calling to me, so I had to take it home. It had a dash fire and they had totaled it. This is what it looked like when I brought it home. View attachment 28167 View attachment 28168

Restoration in progress View attachment 28169

View attachment 28170

View attachment 28171

View attachment 28172

This is how it ended up. It is a great truck! I wouldn't trade it for anything. We moved from CO to KS 2 years ago and I parked it and took a job driving a company truck, a 2008 KW T800, 475 Cummins, Eaton 10 speed autoshift, hauling fuel. It was nice but man I missed my old truck, on my days off I would get it out and drive it around. I put it back to work last Dec and am really enjoying the old girl again:peelout I really enjoy this forum, it is good to see people who love trucks just because they are trucks.
013.JPG

014.JPG

011.JPG

015.jpg

012.JPG

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Sorry, I'm new at this I didn't realize I could only post 5 pics. :bang Here are some of the first time I owned it.[/ATTACH]

Here is what it looked like when i got it back.[/ATTACH]

I have more of the restoration if anybody is interested.

I got a couple pic in the wrong place, but you'll get the idea. I'm a truck driver not a computer wiz.

Attachments

·
22 Posts
I would love to see more pics of the restoration. I hope there are still enough of these around that I might wind up with one in my driveway. Ive got a neighbor with an '85 but not sure of the serial. He has run close to 400 trips to the West Coast with and it stays immaculant. Not sure of the number of rebuilds but quite sure it is still manual.

·
Still Diggin
634 Posts
Nice truck.

Reactions: blztr87

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the flowers!!

The 359's were well built! This one has no rattles or wind noise, very solid for 2,000,000 miles. I think the cab is tighter than the 2008 KW I was driving. In the first week I had it back on the road i had more comments than I did the whole year I drove the KW.:thumbsup I like the DRIVEN thread, that what it is all about, you see these old working trucks doing the job any new truck can but with more class and style. I can tell you these drivers aren't about gassing it and brakes, they are just smooth!

Here are some pics of the rebuild.

006.JPG

005.JPG

004.jpg

016.JPG

017.JPG

·
2,555 Posts
:thumbsup Definately a sharp looking truck, both times you owned it.

·
TDG Singles Club #112
565 Posts
She's a beaut...Welcome aboard. Glad to see the 359's still running. Wish mine were numbered classics. I've got a pair of 359's, a 73 and an 85. Keep up the good work. Maybe I will see you around, I get through Hutch once in a while.

Sam:thumbsup

·
113 Posts
I like your truck, and I enjoyed the story as well. That is pretty neat. Thanks for posting.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
That is a great story and a beautiful truck. Well-done.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
nice looking truck. Always liked the looks of the 359s. Its just a classic truck to this day. I cant spot the diffrences on the petes thru the years because to the untrained eye they kept tru to its styling over the years. Always like to see the before and after shots of projects. Shows what kind of time and work you put into it. also starts to scare you when you add it up in your head!!!!! LOL

·
Tribal
167 Posts
Love the old Flatties, have one myself and until forced to sell due to EPA regs, I am working it as much as possible. There is one thing you do need to put on your rig so people know that you know, Us...See below..Keep up the great work!

Attachments

·
35 Posts
That's a great looking truck !

2,000,000 miles you say ?

And now looks cleaner / better than new trucks, right off the assembly line.

Great story too. What a rare chance to find your old truck and be able to take
it home.

How about the cost compaired to buying new?

Trouble is, most new trucks don't have the style and class.

kentr

·
69 Posts
Very nice 359!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who rescues these things from the scrap yard!! As said before. Sweet looking truck both times!

RF

1 - 16 of 16 Posts