The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, finally back with another diesel. I have a 2007 2500 lbz and it has thrown a code for the number 4 glow plug. I replaced what I thought was the number four (second back on drivers side) and I still get the code. I then decided to change out the second back on the passengers side. When I removed both glow plugs I ohmed them out and both were reading with resistance. My next question is where should I start to look? I still throw my code for the plug, is there any more common issues with the glow plugs or am I going to be tracing out wiring?

Thanks
Charlie

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
which code is it? and did you check the wire going to the plug? have you checked the glow plug controller.

·
8 Posts
P0674
The last digit in the code indicates the cylinder number.
On the Dmax, the cylinders are numbered starting from the passenger front 1-3-5-7 and the driver's front 2-4-6-8.
First, disconnect the batteries. Some people don't.
Remove the inner fender liner which is the biggest PITA of the whole process. just that there are about 10 clips holding it in and it's got a couple of big harnesses clipped to it from inside also. You can get a good view of all 4 glow plugs this way- they're right on top of the exhaust manifold and slightly angled towards the back of the engine. There will be one wire with an 8 mm nut holding it on
Next, remove the 8 mm nut from the offending glow plug.
Next, using a 12 mm deep well socket, carefully remove the glow plug. Might need penetrating oil is probably a good idea. Some say warm the engine up helps.
They're supposed to have 1 ohm or less resistance.
Put some anti-sieze on the threads and started the new glow plug in the head by hand making sure not to cross the threads. Tighten to 18 ft/lb. Reinstall the connector and put the 8 mm nut back on the connector.
Put the fender liner back in, clear the codes and you're done.

·
3,533 Posts
All I would add to the list is, I turn the glow plug out a turn then use an air nozzle and blow away any dirt that may be present.
Also if the glow plug is within specs then you have to test the wire and controler.
I had #8 go bad, Now I have anouther one I wish I would have removed all the wires and tested the other three.
Just a thought!

·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i got the plug all replaced but that didn't clear up the issue. how should i go about testing the controller, just to key it and make sure that it gets power going to the wire end? or is there a certain way to check it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts