The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you guys say that you are "launching" in 4 wheel high at the race track, are you going back to 2 wheel drive at some point during the race?

Please explain the procedure, just in case I need to "spank" some of the local high school kids getting new Mustangs and Camaros for graduation next weekend.

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
id launch in 4wd, run down the whole track in 4wd then at the end right before the turn off slow to a near stop and disengage 4wd.

i believe some say they will put it into neutral right at the end of their run and then turn it to 2wd. though it wont switch until you are going slow enough.

Garrett

·
780 Posts
mine is a manual shifter and i can go from 4wd to 2wd you just have to slow down to under 35 and let off the gas pedal first then you can shift

·
194 Posts
I turn mine back to 2wd half way down the track. Before I make the turn i'm slow enough that it shifts back down and then I take the turn slow just to make sure its disengaged.

·
Registered
43 Posts
if your tires arent the same all the way around, would it not be hard on your truck to run it in 4 wheel at high speeds on dry pavement?

i do alot of donuts and stuff all the time and my back tires are always bald so i am afraid il wreck somethin in 4x4.

and are you guys blowin transfer cases and stuff doin these boosted launches? or are they pretty much bullet proof now days?

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
If the tires are the same size with different wear, you'll still be fine. No worries there.

Do you ever rotate the tires? LOL Might be a good idea if you do that much donuts. Geez

The tcases are fine, u joints, driveshafts and axle shafts will go before the tcase will. Too much boost off the line will spin the tires, but that's not a problem either, it's the wheel hop that will start breaking chit.

·
Banned
713 Posts
i do alot of donuts and stuff all the time and my back tires are always bald

This is EXACTLY why I don't buy used trucks. :wtf :damnit :damnit :bash :wedgie

·
2,183 Posts
I buy used everything. You save a a ton of money, and if you're gonna do it anyways whats the big deal if they hot rodded it

·
Banned
713 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts