The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

New here. A few days ago purchased a Hypertech 3 stage programmer from 4 Wheel Parts. Programmed in Stage 1 today to see the difference from stock on my 99 F250 with 202k on the truck. Auto trans. 4wd.

Gotta say it wasn't too bad. But am I doing ok w/ this programmer? I still have two stages to go and keeping in mind this is a work truck that I don't wanna spend a fortune on, or decrease dependability too much.

The guy at 4 Wheel swore by it, but said he would sell me any that I wanted - they were all pretty much the same as far as programmers go. Banks, Superchips, Bully, Edge etc... Also said I could bring back in 30 days for any reason. So....

Opinoins?

·
6,337 Posts
With 200,000 miles I would stick with it. Hypertech is VERY safe...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then I'm guessing that this DP company that you guys are talking about is for racing. I'm not racing, I'm working.

I really appreciate the heads up!

Jeremy

·
6,337 Posts
NO NO NO... Nothing like that. If you already have the hypertech then stick with it for a while, a chip will always out perform a programer. You need to get a set of gauges, and maybe an intake and exhaust.

My truck is a WORK truck, gets better or the same mileage then stock, better power for towing... If you can return the programer then by all means do it but if not keep it, it will do what you need.

·
6,337 Posts
SeeYa said:
Bigbuilder,

We cater to all different kinds of diesel enthusiasts. Check out our customer gallery on our website a see what some of the guys have done to their trucks..

customer gallery

Good People!!!:Thumbup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Diane,

Thanks for the input. See on your signature "soon to be in GA". I live in the ATL. area...you guys relocating around here?

Also: Grew up in Franklin, NC. My best friend lives in Arden. Small world.

I appreciate everyones help!

·
6,337 Posts
Yes and no... there is a limit to what you can tweak in the SCT world... Thats somewhat of a loaded question... The SCT is less of a programer then the others on the market...

·
Registered
239 Posts
I thought the Hypertec programmer had a bad rap for high EGT's???

Trust me, DP tunes will tow the house if you you choose to go that way. Good stuff!

·
6,337 Posts
Hyper tech is actually VERY concervitive...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can dig conservative. With 202k on my truck, I don't think it needs to be a top contender in the DHRA.

I just wanted something that'll let me negotiate this horrendous ATL. traffic. Less than 70 mph and you're roadkill.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW: CSIPSD (That's a hard one from the home keys). We're planning on traveling to Bend, Or. in the summer to visit this place called "Crystal Peaks Youth Ranch". What's the weather like there?

Also: I love choppers. Planning on taking a peek at BMC choppers in Bend too. Summers cool or hot? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
6,337 Posts
BigBuilder said:
BTW: CSIPSD (That's a hard one from the home keys). We're planning on traveling to Bend, Or. in the summer to visit this place called "Crystal Peaks Youth Ranch". What's the weather like there?

Also: I love choppers. Planning on taking a peek at BMC choppers in Bend too. Summers cool or hot? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bend is great... One of the reasons I have never left. Summers can get HOT but most times its in the 80-90 and very DRY.... Its the High Desert. Look me up when ya get here, there is about 10 of us in the central Oregon area...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks! Love the High Desert. Been to Reno-Carson-Tahoe area numerous times. Maybe it'll be similar.

Diane: Gotcha. Know where you're talking about. Looks like you'll have access to your own proving ground at Atlanta Dragway in Commerce!

·
Registered
31 Posts
CSIPSD said:
Yes and no... there is a limit to what you can tweak in the SCT world... Thats somewhat of a loaded question... The SCT is less of a programer then the others on the market...
ok I am real confused now.. the chip just overrides the factory program with a tuned program when the test slot is used (where we put the chip) the STC style actualy reflashed the computer with a new program (can be the exact same program as on the chip) so how is there any difference? other than ease and the ability to use multiple programs on the fly with the chip

Steve

1 - 20 of 22 Posts