The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it unusual for the Spartan 150 no-DPF tune to reach approx. 40 PSI? From a stop, not hammer it, just steady fast acceleration I hit it.

I can't imagine the 210 or higher :eek:

How much boost pressure can the heads handle consistently?

Thanks.

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
Some of the smaller tunes see high boost numbers, no worries. I want to say the 275 and 310 see over 45, some trucks report into the 50's.

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
shouldnt be a problem considering that the Job 1 builds used to make 42-45psi stock

·
62 Posts
i've been wondering that myself, ...how much boost is too much. when i run the 275 i can see 50 psi easy, i try not to go much over that and usually see it when excelerating to pass without hitting it hard enough to cause the to kick down.

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm trying to be cautious, I don't know if too much boost equates to blowing head gaskets, lifting the heads, blowing up my IC or boots. The problem is I like what I felt when the truck took off - it's addicting - but I don't want to over do it. Maybe the tunes have protection from over boost.

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
I have heard that before and it seem quite a few trycks with the 275/310 are starting to have a some problems..

is there a way to figure it out? A smart guy should be able to do the math and see how much force is being put on the heads? (and thats not me BTW)

·
TEXAS FIGHT
290 Posts
Really, there is a thread discussing how many miles people have put on their trucks with the tunes...

Most were gettin quite a bit of mileage out of them :eek:

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
I think that the issues arising with the 275 and 310 are a result of colder temps, winter fuel, and there being many more customers out there now as opposed to last year. REMEMBER THIS. The 275 and 310 are not ment as a DD tune they are race tunes... Not saying it cant be done. I after all am running the 275 all the time. But. I also have studs in. 275 and 310 over factory RWHP is alot to ask of an engine with stock components. When driven with vim and vigor. Most vendors are now suggesting studs, EGR delete, waste gate and BOV's for reliability with the 275/310 combo.

The 210 and under on the other hand seem to be a much gentler tune set up when it comes to every day driving. Throttle responce, tip in, and rail pressure are at a more livable level for long term use. I wouldnt be worried about running the 210 and under daily with an unmodified truck. I have seen it in the past that it's not how much hp a engine makes that is an issue with reliability. The key factor is HOW it makes it hp. Weather it comes on like a stabbed rat or is more lineal in the ramp up.

It's all in how you drive it long term. Everything mechanical has its limits.

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
Like Forcefed said its the way its driven also but hitting 50 psi on a REGULAR basis cant be a good thing on stock stuff. I am running the 250 and its seems to be a nice tune but the EGTs seem to get hot when pushing it hard.

But still I think there should be a way to figure out the cylinder pressure at say 50psi and see how much force is being produced

·
TEXAS FIGHT
290 Posts
Oh werd and I agree. 275 and 310 shouldn't be daily driven. (I daily on 250) 7k miles and not a hitch so far

1 - 11 of 11 Posts