The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 359 with 400 big cam with a eaton 15 speed weighs in around 45000 lbs when you accelerate it has a clatter in the valve train temperature goes up. egt runs right 900 and climbs if I stay in it and this is not full throttle. It does not seem to have power that I think it should have. Any Ideas ? Could this be timing or running to lean only time it blows any smoke is if I lug it. We just did a valve adjustment that didn't change anything. I am use to driving my 3406B.

·
40 Posts
If you are driving on flat ground in high range at 1300 RPM floor it. At what RPM do you hear this noise you speak of? Put a manual, 300+ psi, gauge in the port on the fuel solenoid. Run a hose and put it somewhere you can watch it while you are driving. What does it say? If you stand in it will it make it to 1150F?

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flat ground high gear pedal on floor: jumps to 150psi then slowly climbs to 175 psi on fuel pressure on port at solenoid valve. EGT went to about 950 degrees F . The valve rattling starts as soon as you mash on pedal . Also when pressure gauge was hooked up the engine was slow to come back to idle after releasing pedal.

·
40 Posts
That sounds pretty normal to me. Those engines normally had a noise-rattle when under load. Kind of like a car with a gas or preignition rattle. Accelerating from low RPM it would usually start about 1550 RPM and go away at a free running higher RPM and or when accelerator was backed off. A lot of variations of those were made over the years that had a little different operating range.
For low power problems search NTC low power trouble shooting. Cummins low power type questions. Does the throttle brake over, filters, fuel lines, exhaust etc.? Maybe just not up to what you were used to but nothing wrong with it? They are easy to get a little more from but be sure it does not have some other problem first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts