The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 275 and I was jack assing around last night and I hit 4000 RPM!!! is that a terrible thing!! it stayed there for what felt like a 2-3 seconds and sounded sweet but I can't see that being a great thing????

shouldn't it be governed??

·
1,077 Posts
The 275 is governed at 4200 I think but my buddy said he buried the tach one time while we were playin in the snow. Haha

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL

I know it doesn't happen very often but isn't that a little high??? I feel bad at 3500??

·
1,077 Posts
I can't say that it is a good thing haha. But I've done it lots. As long as the motor is somewhat loaded and not just pinned out in park then who cares. If you hear a pop then it stops running suddenly then start worrying.lol.

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe its 3200rpm

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
I know mine looses power like a mofo after about 3500 with the manual. I'm always shifting around 3250 or so if I'm getting after it.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The trucks start to defuel heavily after 3500. Once there is more fuel available, I'm sure we'll run them up higher. Just like the 6.0L trucks, the engines are fine in the higher rpm's. The 6.4L trucks simply don't make any power over 3400, so it's not worth it.

·
Super *********
305 Posts
My dyno hit 4100 RPM and when I posted the results I was lambasted for revving it that high. All ok still with 20,000 extra K in it since then!

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would be nice to have it governed at 3600 or something like that... I have heard bad stories about guys that voer rev... But I am still unsure what over revving is on this motor??

·
Registered
270 Posts
4100 won't cause any damage, but as Eric pointed out they aren't terribly efficient past 3500-ish. They will still fuel until redline assuming that everything is properly calibrated- but the stock high pressure turbo exhaust housing and turbine are just too small and the backpressure goes through the roof. A wastegate kit from elite really helps for anyone looking to bump shift points up.

We have them governed at 4200; and it will overshoot just a bit. Will never get more than 4300ish under any circumstances; the only time you'll see it go over the shift points is with some tire slippage.

Nothing to be concerned about.

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better... I was felt bad when I was hitting 3500 rpm so when I saw 4000 I think I sharted a little bit!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wouldn't hit over 4k unless im hooked to a sled, but I don't think its bad for a few seconds if loaded

·
git-r-done
457 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
When we first had our trucks on the dyno, the guy ran them up to 4000 rpm which I think is not good for them. Besides, 6.4's have been known to bend pushrods.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts