The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting day. Was bringing our 06' F450 home from delivering Christmas Trres. No trailer. Noticed all of a sudden no power steering, brakes hard to push, and battery light on. I was really close to shop so limped it in. Right before I got back "check gauges" light came on and temperature gauge was pegged. Pulled in to nursery and serpentine belt was hanging out the bottom of engine and truck spewing coolant out of degas. Belt didn't brake, somehow came off pullies. Getting it towed on Monday. Hopefully didn't damage anything else. Truck is stock other than Bullet Proof EGR, 58v FICM, and Oil Cooler.

·
1,324 Posts
Geez you can't catch a break this week. Any of the idler pulleys locked up? I replaced all of mine as preventative maint. A while back.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
When mine got hot from coolant loss, I had to replace the water pump, it burned up the front pump seal. I'm not sure if it contributed to the failure of the Victor gaskets or not as it seems those are just a wast of time under the best circumstances.

Sent by my right thumb!

·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish the trucks were the worst part. Oh well. Life goes on. I'm honestly not sure what happened. Not much a warning. Didn't hear a thing. Noticed no power brakes or steering, then got a check gauges message and at that point it was too late. I'm putting gauges on it so we can monitor temps. I would think one of the pullies seized or failed. It's getting towed in the morning. Hopefully no damage to head gaskets.

Then my truck threw the P0470 code. I just did the new S&B intake so bet I busted a sensor, and my 4x4 won't engage, defroster just comes on. Did hub seals last year as no vac leak was defected. What are you all using for aftermarket hubs? Are they still shift on the fly?

I have a feeling this week is gonna be expensive.

·
3,051 Posts
Hang in the Levi, this is only a test!

Hopefully your ebp sensor is just disconnected and not broken.

I'm still running stock auto hubs, but I'm sure theres got to be some aftermarket replacement that still allow engagement on the fly.

Harry

·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just pullies and a new belt. Didn't pop the head gaskets. Still haven't got my truck back yet. Shop was backed up with the cold weather. This week didn't start off ant better. Someone broke into our business and trashed our office trailer and stole $4k worth of stuff. That said week couldn't have ended any better. My new niece was born last night. Really puts life's streases and obstacles into perspective. Everything else can be fixed. Have a great weekend.

·
1,324 Posts
Congrats on the new niece! The rest is just details................

·
3,533 Posts
I have seen so many people think they can just go a little farther when an idiot light comes on, well you can not, the light just proves why it is called an idiot light.
I have seen people go broke just because they never check the oil, coolant, or trans fluid. We had one guy loose $30,000 just because he did not want to check the oil, and when the light came on for oil he was pulling a hill and did not want to stop, he said the light came on before but nothing happened.
Sorry for you loss, but, you will be chasing problems for a long time.

·
1,324 Posts
And here I thought the manual referred to them as indicator/warning lamps and or gauges.

Levi maybe you can send some of that legal Colorado bud to John. :roflol:

As far as hubs I think the 05 and up are not possible to swap out for aftermarket. I put warn in mine as the on the fly doesn't matter to me but I have 04 hubs. My stock ones had not been serviced by first owner and were frozen.

I swapped my pulleys out as a maintenance item.

·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maintenance has never and never will be an issue. That said a scan gauge or CTS for that truck would be a good investment. I agree that many overlook basic maint and it's costs them big money. This wasn't the case. I wasn't pulling a load, completely empty. By the time I noticed the gauge or I guess in this case idiot light it was too late. Wish the damn thing made more noise like when the TBC fault goes off all the time. John your preaching to the wrong person about maintenance. Oil changes every 5k. Fuel every 10k. Tranny gets checked every oil change and oil levels are checked every fill up. I for one like the 6.0 and think you would be hard pressed to find two that have been maintained like mine. I'm sure there are others on this forum that take very good care of theirs too. My personal trucks mods were done for fun and preventative maint, not because I didn't watch my deltas and popped my gaskets. How many of you have lost a serpentine belt driving down the road? In all the 6.0 threads I've read I haven't seen one. Especially since my 06' with 60k had all fluids changed and belt replaces last year as preventative maint. weld I will add tensioners and pullies to the maint list. Anyway this idiot is off to work. Have to maintenence our loaders and tree spades.

·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Weld they replaced my hubs. Determined they were not functioning correctly and would engage with vacume. New ones work great. New EBP sensor and now the truck really runs great. That sensor really seems to affect the turbo when not working. Mechanic said the 450 seemed fine after new belt, tensioner and pullies. I had them check to make sure I didn't damage the head gaskets. Seems ok for now. If not that was next on my list for that truck. Or maybe a new 15'?

Reactions: Weld engineer

·
3,533 Posts
If you took offence about me calling them idiot lights well that is what they were called, it was because idiots never looked at their gauges.
When it comes to an engine or anything mechanical you can do 99.99999% right and just once for an instance make a mistake and it will cost you big time.
I was told by a very smart guy they they put erasers on everyone's pencils.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
John, I think Weld is just messing with you a little. Even a lot of factory gauges are nothing more than a glorified idiot light, I refer to them as idiot lights with needles. Case in point, a majority of cars that have in dash oil pressure gauges, they are "switched" at 5psi and these days because the computers have gotten to be powerful enough, the gauge moves with RPM just like a mechanical or electric gauge of old. And a lot of temperature gauges, like the ones on the 6.0L actually show temperature faster than the engine builds it to reduce people's tendency to want to warm up the car, they route coolant flow from the hottest part of the engine to the heater to give you heat quickly, but the gauge is not an accurate representation of the actual temperature, and by 140°F the gauge shows in the normal range. A lot of Ford products have gauges that basically have three steps, a warmup step, then the needle stays put in the normal range throughout most operation, and a hot range that the gauge rapidly moves to if the engine gets hot, right before the lights come on, a warning sound goes off and the message center tells you to check gauges.

Sent by my right thumb!

Reactions: Weld engineer

·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Idaho do you happen to know what temp the check gauges comes on? I'm putting guages on that allow me to set an alarm to warn of rising temps. My moded truck is set at 230. Anything particular I should keep an eye on after overheating that truck?

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Levi, it's in the 240s.

Edit: depending on the starting pressure, your cap will hold 16psi more than atmospheric pressure. At sea level atmospheric is 14.69, so 30.69psi total system pressure. At 30.69psi water boils at 251°F. If you reduce the total pressure for 5000' elevation in the Rockies, the atmospheric pressure is 12.2psi putting total pressure at 28.2psi, and the boiling point drops to 246°F. At 6000' the boiling point is 242°F. So the light coming on at 240°F buys you no time before you boil the water in the system.

Setting up your alarm for 230, or even a tick lower at 220-225 just tells you you're working the truck hard and it's time to pay attention. That's a better way to use the warning lights, as an indicator BEFORE you create a problem.

I clock my gauges so that the desired reading always results in the needle pointing straight up. If a quick glance has needles out of place it's time to back out of it and pay attention.

On my EGT 600°F is at 12 o'clock, and 1000°F is at 3 o'clock. If I'm cruising, the needle should be straight up or to the left (under 600°F) and that's where I pull down the best fuel milage. If I'm not towing and I'm on a grade I shouldn't go over 1000°F, unless I'm passing a big rig or something. But I can glance at the needle and not have to read the numbers.

Sent by my right thumb!

·
Curmudgeon
472 Posts
...... I clock my gauges so that the desired reading always results in the needle pointing straight up. .......... the needle should be straight up or to the left ..........
Funny, I do the same. Then have to explain to anyone who sees my gauges the first time why I've turned expensive gauges into idiot needles. :roflol: Straight up, good to go.

·
1,324 Posts
John, I think Weld is just messing with you a little.

Sent by my right thumb!
Something like that.........

Big trucks are different IMHO - which doesn't really matter - most are driven by "operators". Light trucks or even medium duty are more mass produced (they build a F-150 every 60 seconds) so having a bunch of expensive gauges the normal driver doesn't look at often is not something the OEM's want to waste their profits on warning lights are cheap. People want heated ball warmers and hand warmers and beepers that go off when you back too close to something or sound systems to rock out to Nickelback.

:bdh

Reactions: Levi'sford
1 - 17 of 17 Posts