The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 with the 48re. I would like to upgrade the trans inorder to hold the power of the smarty jr. on the 100hp stadge and a leveling kit with tires no larger than 35s. I heard that if you just upgrade the Torgue Converter and Valve body, that I should be okay. Is this true? Or would you upgrade the input shaft as well? Or anything else? Id like to hear what you guys think. If it is what valve body and torgue converter would you go with? Thank you in advance!

·
141 Posts
I have an 07 w/48RE and been running my jr. on SW2 (70hp/tow) and no trans mods for almost a year now, no issues. I plan on putting a Transgo shift kit in it before going to SW3/100hp. I have the kit and will do that little project some time in the spring. I think it will be fine as long as I don't abuse it. It depends really on how you drive it. If you are going to beat it, boosted launches and all that, you better just build the tranny too.

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I havent had a problem with mine and I have been running 40hp stadge since I have owned the truck. But I want to be able to feel more comfortable if i decide to get into the throttle with the jr set at its max. I heard at TC and VB will allow the the 48re up to 500hp. I thought about buying a built trans but I cant really see spending 5k or more for a trans if im never going to have that much hp.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
I havent had a problem with mine and I have been running 40hp stadge since I have owned the truck. But I want to be able to feel more comfortable if i decide to get into the throttle with the jr set at its max. I heard at TC and VB will allow the the 48re up to 500hp. I thought about buying a built trans but I cant really see spending 5k or more for a trans if im never going to have that much hp.
just a Tq converter and VB wont be able to hold 500hp, well not for very long

when it comes to doing a trans you might as well do it right, not halfazzed

Get into contact with Dave Georeand, he's the expert when it comes to the 48re

I recommend at least an input shaft, i broke the one in my dodge after i spent $3500 to rebuild it, should have spent $700 more and had something:swear

·
Mega-Member
584 Posts
One more thing to think about is the current condition of the transmission. It has wear parts (clutches), so just asking if you can throw a VB and converter to it is not looking at the big picture. What is the current condition? To get a small snapshot into what's happening inside, first check the fluid. Is it brown? Does it smell like burnt as$? If so, a simple fluid change may be in order, or maybe even an overhaul. Do you tow heavy with this truck? If so, to me, I would like a little extra piece of mind in knowing that it won't fail by putting the extra dollars into it.

I'm not trying to make you feel dumb or anything, I just want the consumer to be more aware of what's going on under their truck before swiping that credit card. Most people will tell you to do it once, and do it right. I'm also a firm believer of that statement, because I do not want to be stuck somewhere with a failed transmission because I didn't drop the extra coin the first time. For example, say you skip the billet input shaft because you're not sure if you need it, and it's like $5-700. Imagine going down the on-ramp, the truck hits 55mph, the converter locks and BOOM, no forward progression. Most likely, you just broke the input shaft......and oh BTW, it also took out your new converter, and most likely the front pump. So now you have to buy all of those parts again!

Take it from me, if you're going to put power to these trucks, also put the money where it belongs. Like they say, you have to pay to play.

·
141 Posts
I can't remember the detals so don't quote me on this, but I believe there were a few changes to the last of the 48REs that came in the '07 models making them somewhat stouter/more reliable than all their predecessors. If and when the time comes I will spend the $6-10k dollars to install a fully built trans with all the bells and whistles. Until then, if it ain't broke I ain't gonna fix it. It's easy to say just spend the money. I want to see what's in the middle range on my truck first. I believe all the horror stories about blown Dodge trannies probably represents .1% of all those type gearboxes on the road. You hear mostly about the problems on these message boards, little else.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Nadir, I bought a 100% stock truck with 70k miles on it and by 80k miles the trans was gone, second gear band was slipping so hard it would barely shift to third, i knew the history of the truck, i knew the previous owner and i knew that it was serviced at a dealership regularly, so i spent nearly $4000 to rebuild it with red alto clutches, kevlar bands, VB, converter, the works, but i neglected to add a billet input, Didn't know it was needed, once the trans was built i bought an Edge juice/att, thought that i could have some fun now that the trans was strong, well i was driving down the highway headed home, then i started going up a hill i heard a loud bang and that was it, no more forward motion....

The 48re can be strong, once you spend the money, sure there are lots of people out there that have no problems, but my trans went out on a stock truck.... STOCK 100% i know of quite a few others with the same problem, we arent just telling people to spend the money because of a few small cases of break down, its a little more common than 1%

If you dont believe me thats fine, but I know the truth :happymugs

·
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner
3,705 Posts
Nadir,

I have an 07 that I bought with just 18 miles on it and I'll be the first to say it isn't any better than previous 48RE's just controled a tad different with the CANBUS.. I've broke several of them in this truck, one Stock tranny with a Stock truck and even a couple of Built ones not stock truck..

·
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner
3,705 Posts
To the OP,

You can get by with just a VB and good TC, but the dinky Input Shaft really does need to be replaced with a Billet Input if you’re going to be using a Stout Triple disk.. My fear for you would be snapping it with you foot in the throttle during a lock up or even an irregularity in the road surface that may cause your wheels to spin then grab again while locked up.. Other than that I’m like Aaron just get it done the first time and not worry about it plus if down the road you decide to do more than a Smarty Jr. you can with out concern..

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Exactly, if you dont want to spend the money to do it right then dont complain when it breaks, thats how it is, I learned the hard way not to trust the 48re, its pretty upsetting to buy a truck and have the transmission fail when the truck is completely stock....

·
748 Posts
Do what right? I'm not building a 700hp truck.
Watch it Nadir, I've had this argument with several in this website. So many of these guys think you need a $5000 billet through and through transmission to have any reliability, in all actuality, they probably do because they drive like idiots. Just remember when taking advice from some on this website, they are here because they mod their trucks and some heavily, their advice might not be best suited for what you are doing to your truck.

·
Mega-Member
584 Posts
One more thing to think about is the current condition of the transmission. It has wear parts (clutches), so just asking if you can throw a VB and converter to it is not looking at the big picture. What is the current condition? To get a small snapshot into what's happening inside, first check the fluid. Is it brown? Does it smell like burnt as$? If so, a simple fluid change may be in order, or maybe even an overhaul. Do you tow heavy with this truck? If so, to me, I would like a little extra piece of mind in knowing that it won't fail by putting the extra dollars into it.

I'm not trying to make you feel dumb or anything, I just want the consumer to be more aware of what's going on under their truck before swiping that credit card. Most people will tell you to do it once, and do it right. I'm also a firm believer of that statement, because I do not want to be stuck somewhere with a failed transmission because I didn't drop the extra coin the first time. For example, say you skip the billet input shaft because you're not sure if you need it, and it's like $5-700. Imagine going down the on-ramp, the truck hits 55mph, the converter locks and BOOM, no forward progression. Most likely, you just broke the input shaft......and oh BTW, it also took out your new converter, and most likely the front pump. So now you have to buy all of those parts again!

Take it from me, if you're going to put power to these trucks, also put the money where it belongs. Like they say, you have to pay to play.
Start there.

If you're just going to put something like a Smarty Jr. on the truck, then (as long as its guts are ok) you could get away with a converter/VB/billet input.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Start there.

If you're just going to put something like a Smarty Jr. on the truck, then (as long as its guts are ok) you could get away with a converter/VB/billet input.
converter, VB, and billet input would cost you close to $2500(in parts, not labor), and the trans has to be taken out and opened up anyways, why not spend a little extra cash and have some good clutch packs and bands installed

to Nadir and D-man, if you dont feel my personal experience with a COMPLETELY STOCK(not 700hp) truck what was serviced religiously and still lost the transmission, I can understand that:roflol:

·
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner
3,705 Posts
to Nadir and D-man, if you dont feel my personal experience with a COMPLETELY STOCK(not 700hp) truck what was serviced religiously and still lost the transmission, I can understand that:roflol:
:whs Amen, we were just trying to help with our experiences during the STOCK lives of our trucks.. :bang

·
141 Posts
Watch it Nadir, I've had this argument with several in this website.
No argument, no worries. I don't entertain dumbazzery - you know the kind like where what happened to me and what I think I know automatically applies to everything and everyone else in the whole world. I was just wondering if anyone wanted to offer any actual numbers to back their claim, or if they are just talking shyt. The truck comes stock at 325/610, so like the tranny's only good to what 326-7? 330? 350, what?

My truck's 48re has been quite happy bone stock holding 400hp for over a year. Sounded similar to what the OP was going for. If these gearboxes were that weak there'd be alot more than the few handful of Goerend/full billet cheerleaders crying "do it right or nothing" all the time. Guess they must've did it wrong the first time? Some people could break an anvil in a sandbox.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
If it only happened to a handful of trucks then companies like Goerand, Suncoast, ATS, HTS wouldnt offer upgraded parts, and Im pretty certain they wouldnt be successful, yet they continue to be in business

its not just the 48re, its the allison, the torque shift... they all break, its up to you to ignore the voice of experience, but as they say Ignorance is bliss :happymugs

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Total U.S. Ram sales for 2003-6 (last full model year for the 48RE) totaled approximately 2,000,000 units.

You ready to talk numbers or you still want to talk shyt?

(we'll break that down by model/drivetrain compared to Goerend's/ATS/Suncoast numbers later)
You know what, Im wrong, you're right, I have no clue what I'm talking about, have a nice day

·
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner
3,705 Posts
I think all I can do is laugh at this point... WOW!!!
By all means give it a shot it's not my truck nor my money.. I hope it all works out for you.

I’m glad my experiences from working in the Diesel Pickup industry with a vast majority people that had no wish nor desire for Performance enhancements is irrelevant to you since your own truck is indicative of every other truck on the road, per your Post above.

You might retract some of your statement if you have ever pulled some trannies apart and cut open a few converters on bone stock trucks and yes even extreme pulling trucks to understand the reasons for the development behind many of the upgrades. The reasons for different clutch materials, and tolerances, how and why Valve Bodies are modified, the many differences in Convertors and why, why one tranny has better internals than another, why defueling/TC Slip management is integrated into Computer Management to try and keep many of the trannies alive…

To the OP: YES I do believe a modified VB, and TC will be fine, just remember when that TC locks and you have say a 3 disk converter “it is locked” not going to slip like a single disk OEM so the next part down the line is you input shaft and Dodge has some of the smallest input shafts of the Big three pickup market.

i.e. say someone is pulling a boat (Something light) and the drive tire or tires losses traction with a locked converter and then instantly regains traction, a 3 disk converter is not going to slip. It will maintain LOCKED and transfer all the energy right to the input shaft; that is where most problems occur after convertor upgrades.. I’ve been in (even worked) and around this industry since 1998 and have seen it all and witnessed the progression of this industry on many fronts.

This is just my kind-intentioned advice and experience

That being Said, I am done with this thread and wish each of you the very best.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts