The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK ya'll...another dumb question. What is the fluid capacity for a stock 4R100 tranny? I need to change the fluid and filter and without an owner's manual, I don't know how much it takes.

·
0 Posts
Kermit...I was always under the impression that the 4R100 held 18 quarts of fluid.

En4cr...the tranny pan holds 6 quarts. Are you doing just a pan change or a complete flush? If you are interested in a complete flush...I can get you some directions that are very simple...and approved by a Ford tranny developer. If you opt to do a flush...go get some Mobil 1 synthetic Mercon rated. Good Stuff!!

Dave

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only did a drain and refill. I will flush it and change the filet the next change time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kermit...I was always under the impression that the 4R100 held 18 quarts of fluid.

En4cr...the tranny pan holds 6 quarts. Are you doing just a pan change or a complete flush? If you are interested in a complete flush...I can get you some directions that are very simple...and approved by a Ford tranny developer. If you opt to do a flush...go get some Mobil 1 synthetic Mercon rated. Good Stuff!!

Dave
Wrong. Tranny fluids can get you in a lot of trouble. DO NOT use a Mercon rated fluid in this truck. MAKE SURE you use ONLY the "Mercon V". The Mercon fluid is not forward compatible and was designed for transmission in the late 80's and early 90's. ALSO, avoid after market brands that do not SPECIFICALLY state they are rated "Mercon V". Personally I would stay away from ANY aftermarket brands and stick to the Ford "Mercon V" fluid in the red bottle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wrong. Tranny fluids can get you in a lot of trouble. DO NOT use a Mercon rated fluid in this truck. MAKE SURE you use ONLY the "Mercon V". The Mercon fluid is not forward compatible and was designed for transmission in the late 80's and early 90's. ALSO, avoid after market brands that do not SPECIFICALLY state they are rated "Mercon V". Personally I would stay away from ANY aftermarket brands and stick to the Ford "Mercon V" fluid in the red bottle.
ALSO, the later fluids like LV and ULV are NOT compatible with this transmission.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts