The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading tons of other posts and not sure I have the answer I need. I have an 08 F250. When I have the hubs on auto and put it into 4x4 on the dash you can hear the motor try to engage but the 4 wheel doesn't lock. I locked the hubs and put in in 4 in a parking lot. It is dry and just did a few circles but the truck started bucking and getting crazy. Now I'm confused and scared. Does this sound like a hub issue? I need my 4 wheel drive. I'm scared that if I lock it and engage on a bad day I might still break something based on how it drove today. My a/c doesn't switch to defrost when i switch while doing electronic (not locked). I was at my buddies shop the other day installing a dpf delete and it didnt feel like there was vacuum when we disconnected the line from the hub but not sure if we checked proper. I really don't wanna pay for trouble shooting quite yet til I feel confident i know somewhat the issue. Mainly concerned about the bucking today. I really need to get this going. so lame. I'm driving it in 2wd now with the hubs locked to see if I can get the hubs lubed up a little.

·
212 Posts
Anytime you engage your 4WD system on dry pavement and drive in circles it will buck and act crazy. Consider yourself lucky if you didn't tear something up.

·
68 Posts
What happened to you is normal but don't use 4wd on dry pavement. It will do expensive damage quickly!

·
186 Posts
What happened to you is normal but don't use 4wd on dry pavement. It will do expensive damage quickly!
With the qualification that it is ok to use 4wd on dry pavement if you need extra traction for a *straight* pull. The rear axle often has poor traction due to insufficient weight on it, while the front has a heavy engine above it for decent traction. As long as you are going straight you aren't stressing the system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts