The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a second gen 5.9 short block i am looking to build up to put in my truck

thanks!

·
WHOS NEXT
182 Posts
I have one. Its tapped for 12mm studs and fire ringed. It is a 53 but it is not cracked. I'm looking for 400 obo. Located in lebanon pa.

·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not beeing smart just trying to understand, whats it matter if the stud holes are bigger, and whats fire ringed and 53 mean?

·
WHOS NEXT
182 Posts
Instead of using the factory head bolts the holes have been drilled and tapped for 12mm head studs which is a common need when you start adding more boost. A fire ring is a groove cut into the deck of the block around every cylinder hole. Then a special wire is laid in there flush. Its adds strength so you don't blow a head gasket. Most people with fire ring or oring the head but you can do both the head and the block for extra security. And the 53 is a casting number on the drivers side front of the block right above the oil pan flange. What this means is that the block was made it tupy brazil. There were a few different casting numbers and the ones from tupy or the "53" were said to have smaller coolant passages on the exhaust side of the block. Some guys had problems with them cracking right under the exhaust mainfold which then it didn't hurt the motor it just leaked coolant. You can stitch a crack back together with a welder. The ones that cracked just cracked. It doesn't matter if its a bone stock truck or a 1,000 hp truck. However not even close to half of the 53's produced cracked. They just have a name like toyota does right now. There's more info in the 24 valve stickies on 53 blocks. They one I have has not cracked and has around 135,000 miles on it. A new block from cummins is over $2,000. A used non 53 is going for about $800-$1000. I'm asking $400 because its a good block but just has a bad reputation.

·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it sounds like a great deal but im sorry, im looking to build an engine that will last me a good fifteen to twenty years. im not in any rush to get one im just looking and searching for the right deal to come across. thanks for offer and good luck selling it!

-steve

·
WHOS NEXT
182 Posts
Let me snap some and ill send them this weekend

·
WHOS NEXT
182 Posts
email sent

1 - 11 of 11 Posts