The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Possibly getting a 5" MBRP exhuast, any issues with drone going with this on an other wise stock 98.5 24v dually? I will also be getting a 3 piece manifold, and air intake.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
does it have a muffler? if it does you shouldn't have any problems, but if it's just the pipe then there will be a drone at a certain rpm

B

·
0 Posts
There is always a certain amont of drone with any straight exhaust systems on our trucks. Every truck is different as to where the drone is the loudest. Also the larger you go in size, the louder the drone gets. However even with a 5" it is not anywhere near unbearable.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
02sprtcumns said:
It does sound like a beast. Also my spare tire wont fit under the truck any more with 5" exhaust.
Forgot to mention that.

Bouncer said:
There is always a certain amont of drone with any straight exhaust systems on our trucks. Every truck is different as to where the drone is the loudest. Also the larger you go in size, the louder the drone gets. However even with a 5" it is not anywhere near unbearable.
Please explain what "the drone" is suppose to sound like?

·
1,055 Posts
Its like a constant low hum, same as the rpm, its hard to describe, but that is as close as I can get. And why a 5", it is kind of big for a stock truck, you would be fine with a 4":2cents

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
it's when you hit the right rpm and the reverberations in the exhaust get just right and it's this low rumble that you can feel as much as you can hear, it gets kinda annoying

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Yeah its that sound that seems to fill you ears, even though its not that loud. Only happens at the right conditions though.

Also the outlet on the turbo is only 2.5" so 5" is a little big..... but they are cool

·
400 Posts
the drone on my my 4 inch straight happens about 2200 rpm in 5th gear it's not real bad because i'm used to it but those who ride in my truck think it's about as annoying as my fass pump. Although my 4 inch is no where near as bad as my buddies 6 inch stacks used to be.

·
Registered
27 Posts
the drones is diffently not a concern compared to the drop in egts and everything else an exhaust is good for diffenetly a must have to proceed down the endless list of things needed for the truck

fuel sys
intake
exhaust
box
turbo
injector
cam
head gasket and suds
another turbo
bigger injectors
somewhere water/meth fits in
everyone has ther own order and this just power mods