The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I currently have an 01 powerstroke that I just purchased from a guy in st. louis and it has a banks 4 inch exhaust on it. I had an 07 cummins with a 5 inch turbo back magnaflow exhaust on it. I absolutely loved the exhaust and the sound of it. Now, ive noticed that often you see a 5 inch turbo back exhaust on cummins, but not powerstrokes. Guys usually have a 4 inch. Y is that? Does it not have the same effect on the powerstroke or what?

·
812 Posts
4in is as big as you need on anything. 5in is just for sound and looks

·
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard that a 5 inch will help with lowering the EGTs?

·
Semper Fi
237 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
Reason for not seeing a 5" exhaust on a Ford like this is room restrictions. There is just NO room for a big ol down pipe. Now it is true 5" tubing helps keep the EGT's lower, but remember you are trying to fill a 5" pipe with air designed to flow better through 4" pipe max. It will flow, but most people feel as if they loose bottom end when the do this. I believe it has to do with the velocity the air is leaving the truck. Most systems for Fords are 4" to the muffler then 5" after that. This is done to give the look and sound of 5" but give you the performance gains of the 4".

We dynoed a 99 7.3L and it was 217 at the rear wheels. (stock) when we installed our system 4" to the muffler 5" after, it gained 6 more horse power, which was 223. We gained more TQ too, but I can't remember those numbers now.

·
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reason for not seeing a 5" exhaust on a Ford like this is room restrictions. There is just NO room for a big ol down pipe. Now it is true 5" tubing helps keep the EGT's lower, but remember you are trying to fill a 5" pipe with air designed to flow better through 4" pipe max. It will flow, but most people feel as if they loose bottom end when the do this. I believe it has to do with the velocity the air is leaving the truck. Most systems for Fords are 4" to the muffler then 5" after that. This is done to give the look and sound of 5" but give you the performance gains of the 4".

We dynoed a 99 7.3L and it was 217 at the rear wheels. (stock) when we installed our system 4" to the muffler 5" after, it gained 6 more horse power, which was 223. We gained more TQ too, but I can't remember those numbers now.
Ok, if i was interested in buying one of ur guys 4 inch to muffler and 5 inch exhaust systems, how much would it cost? Also, does it come with a tip? I checked your website but did not see a price. Also, do you have any sound clips or videos of it? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
Ok, if i was interested in buying one of ur guys 4 inch to muffler and 5 inch exhaust systems, how much would it cost? Also, does it come with a tip? I checked your website but did not see a price. Also, do you have any sound clips or videos of it? Thanks
Yes our systems come with a 5" stainless steel tip. The turbo pipes have a pyro in them, so that way you can plug a pyrometer in them for the EGT's. Remember that the best place for a pyrometer is in the manifold it gives you the most accurate temp. However you can still use the one in the turbo pipe, and keep in mind it's a good 200-400 degrees off of what the actual temp is. As for where to buy them, you will have to go through one of our dealers. We are just the manufacturer, and do not sell direct. We have several dealers on this site that can sell our product, and supply you with a quote. I suggest going to the vendors section and asking for a price quote. The Grand Rock part number is PS-99-A5.

·
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks man. I appreciate it.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
My truck has a 4" down pipe, then goes straight to a 5" exhaust after that... :thumbsup Was a great price, easy to install. Topped it with a 6" stainless tip from the local muffler shop.

·
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My truck has a 4" down pipe, then goes straight to a 5" exhaust after that... :thumbsup Was a great price, easy to install. Topped it with a 6" stainless tip from the local muffler shop.
Zach, where did you get it from?

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Farm Boys Diesel dot com. Went with the straight pipe kit. :thumbsup

·
20 Posts
Anybody have the farm boy diesel 4" kit for the 7.3? Im thinking either that or just straight pipe it

·
272 Posts
wrong thread

Reactions: nickPSD

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
We have the Grand Rock PowerFlow kits available if your looking for a Quality System.... The Clamps and Hangers are some of the best we have ever installed

·
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have the Grand Rock PowerFlow kits available if your looking for a Quality System.... The Clamps and Hangers are some of the best we have ever installed
How much for a turbo back system?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts