The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i currently have a problem. i got a 5spd in my 98 that needs a $1000 clutch ( south bend clutch) and my friend offered me a built auto for $1500. how hard would it be or how much more to convert....floor shifter is just fine

·
3,514 Posts
you're gonna have to dump some money into that auto to make it hold up to the comp you already have. At least another 1500 for a TC/VB if you want to limit it to about 350hp. The autos are notorious for not holding up, actually beyond notorious, they all break. If you want 450hp or whatever, you'll need heavy duty bands and clutchs a TC/VB and at least an input shaft. You're lookin at about $4000 just to build a trans that will hold the power. Then comes all of the expensive hard stuff. the ECM's are different, bell housings. Its do able, and it will be faster, but the cheapest way to do it, with money being a concern, go for a new clutch.
Sean

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, i thought id spit it out there

·
3,514 Posts
yeah, it always sounds sweet, but its expensive any way you go. In retrospect, I wish i had bought a 6spd.

·
4,827 Posts
That's spendy too.

The cheapest and easiest way to do an man to auto conversion, would be to get a 47RH (not the 47RE). No need to swap the ECM, either. Can use 2 manual switches for O/D and the T/C lockup clutch operation. A TDR buddy of mine did that. Swapped out the 6spd for a Goerend Brothers slushbox.

·
393 Posts
When your friend says BUILT auto what does it include? If it is actually "built" you can disregard most of the cost sstockton listed. You will still need the parts needed to work with the truck. There are plenty of guys who have done the conversion. I am sure there are plenty of guys that would never go back after the conversion too.
You could also look at a stand alone vb.
Plus you could sell your 5spd to recoupe some of the cost. Granted this post assumes that the auto is actually built.

·
3,514 Posts
97crewcab said:
When your friend says BUILT auto what does it include? If it is actually "built" you can disregard most of the cost sstockton listed.
Yeah I read "built" as Rebuilt, just skipped over that. With that brought to my attention, that could be work out quite well for you. Like BMoller said, it is easiest to do with a 47RH, the RE has too much going on in the way of electronics.
Sean

B

·
0 Posts
IMO it would have to be a minimum of a stage 4 or 5 from a name brand builder to be worth the conversion. I too read Built as rebuilt.:damnit :pointlaugh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts