The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I do all my own stunts
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to repower my 59 Kenworth CC-925 from a NHCT-270 to a Big Cam I 400. I still need a few things but the replacement engine runs and will be healthy when installed.

http://youtu.be/fXYhKzbIFv8

When done it will have a 5 x 3 and 4.11's on tall 24.5 rubber. Should move out nicely. The 270 runs great, it just isn't all that exciting. Eventually the truck will be fully restored and repainted.

·
3,533 Posts
You want to check and see if the transmissions, clutch, and drive line will handle the extra torque.
Just a thought!

·
I do all my own stunts
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Should be good to go. Main is going to be a twin countershaft Fuller 5 speed. Rears are late model SQHD's and I won't be hauling much. The aux could potentially be at risk but if I am responsible with how I use it, it should be fine. Would like to find a twin countershaft aux someday to match the main. Also looking for the somewhat oddball radiator to fill the grill of my early tilt wide hood. It isn't an A model hood, nor will an A model radiator fit.

My photo link has been unreliable for some reason but here it is:
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/22855

·
2,555 Posts
Have you measured a W900L rad? I thought that that hood only went on 8V 71 trucks

·
I do all my own stunts
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is news to me on the wide hood. Nobody has ever mentioned if there was a specific engine tied to the hood. I know they were for a larger radiator primarily. If I wanted to really confuse folks I could make it into an extended cowl truck and move the cab back about 10 inches or so. I have plenty of frame to do it. If I did that I would need to put something more exotic in there like a 12v71 or a 1693 or something else that is early big power. Not sure if a 900L radiator will fit either. I might be able to cheat though with bottom tanks from something else where they don't stick down so far.

·
4,827 Posts
Sell the blue KW then?

·
I do all my own stunts
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sold my blue 81 last fall and bought the 59 in December. After I get the drivetrain the way I want it, it will be getting new paint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts