The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what hitch do you run? what weight is it? I have a drawtight 18K But im looking to upgrade.
They tell me B&W is the best. wonder what you guys think

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
Well im bout to find out how a used Husky 16k Slider does Wed afternoon but i couldnt passs the price up since i didnt feel like shelling over a grand for a new. I have heard very good things bout theirs just pricey for me

·
3,533 Posts
I have a B&W turn over ball it is rated at 30,000 lb trailer weight and a 7,500 tongue weight which is more than my truck will ever have. I never have to worry about it binding up. Can have a flat floor in 30 seconds. I have had to heat it to get it out, to turn it over, when it froze in took 20 seconds with propane soldering torch. I could have crawled underneath and tapped it.
Works for me!

·
gone fishin!
2,833 Posts
B&W is the way to go, have them in all the trucks, have 3 balls and one companion...... never a lick of trouble in.........um cant remember when i got it... been at least 5 years i think.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
I thought I was going to have to have a slider hitch so I didnt go B&W but now since I have no slider I wish I would have.

Here is a pic of my Curt Q5 and To be honest, it is the best fifthwheel hitch I have been around next to B and W.

I also have to Curt G/N hitch for my rails.

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
I have the B&W setup also. I used to use the companion but i dont tow 5ers anymore so i sold it. It was an easy setup, just drop it in the GN ball hole, torque down the U-bolts and go. Only thing i hated about mine was the head had more weight to it on the front wich would push the rear in the air when trying to hookup a trailer. The rear is suppost to be pointing down so the trailer can ride up on it.:gaah

·
Administrator
8,879 Posts
B&W hands down the best. Some complain about their price, but you get what you pay for. If you ever see what can happen in a wreck with a rail system hitch, you would go running the other way. I have put thousands of loaded miles on my B&W with never even a concern.

·
The DUDE!!
1,806 Posts
Got the B&W with the companion hitch in mine. Love it and wouldn't go another way.

·
227 Posts
Well im bout to find out how a used Husky 16k Slider does Wed afternoon but i couldnt passs the price up since i didnt feel like shelling over a grand for a new. I have heard very good things bout theirs just pricey for me
My father in law had that hitch(hushy) for his 5er. The front tire blew out and ripped the hitch right out the of the bed of the truck.The trailer was laying on it's side in the middle of I5. The rails were still bolted to the bed and hitch was still the the trailer. I told him it was made way too cheap! Reese, Drawtight and B&W are much better choices. This is the hitch I'm using.

http://www.reese-hitches.com/products/Elite_Series_Pre_Assembled_18K_5th_Wheel_Hitch,30142

·
70 Posts
I run the Hijacker rail Ultra 21,000 dual pivot...never had an issue and close annual inspection shows no signs of wear or stress whatsoever pulling a 40' 5er.

·
3,754 Posts
B and W hitches are outstanding, they hold up well, easy to install and a great company

·
3,533 Posts
Your truck has suspention and the trailor has suspension, you do not need suspention on the hitch. If you drive like an idiot or when it is blowing hard enough to blow over the trailor. It is posible a B&W hitch is not for you. Personally I use my truck for a lot of different things. I do not want to unbolt plates from the box or have to remove a huge hitch, and have to find a place to store it.
I can take the trailor, drop it off, remove the ball, load the truck with a lot of things, without the trailor, then put the cargo in the trailor and finish loading it, and go. If you have a huge hitch in the back, that is all you use the truck for without a lot of extra BS.
It takes me about 2 mimutes, from the time I stop, to unhook from the trailor, and be ready to go with a flat 8 ft floor.
Just a thought!

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
I will say this, when I ordered my FL in 2003 I almost left out the air ride hitch. I thought the same thing, truck is air ride, chassis, cab, seats. Why a hitch?

I can tell you that it was worth in my opinion, especially since we hauled show horses out of Florida to the north.

Obviously you have to figure out what you are going to tow, how often and if it's worth the extra coin. In my experience it was, and since the truck I had was only used to tow it didn't matter that it took up much more space, and was not practical to remove.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Nice Rig Wayne, what drive train does it have?

I also saw B&W's new Patroit RV hitch and its pretty cool. They had it displayed at the National Farm Machinery Show.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts