The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys i'm considering removing my engine to do head studs, fire rings, fuel system, erg removal, turbo and injectors. how hard is it going to be to get this thing out. i took the engine out of my mack no problem and even out of a few tractors, cars, and even boats . but everytime i pop the hood on my truck my head hurts all the wiring and nonsense is mindboggaling i guess once u get around that its simple but i would just like some info on the process. do you have to take the fenders off? how about the bumper or the cab? any warnings befor i begin. any help would be appreceated.:bow:

thanks, Bart

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
it is time onsuming, i am going to be doing it very shortly, just mark everything and start pulling wires, i will tell tadd to post on this because he has done it a time or 2
robert

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am certainly no expert on this, but I saw a member pic in a thread once where the motor was in frame and the whole cab and front clip was hoisted up in the air. Is this any easier? I don't know. If it was, everybody would be doing it and there would be alot of Diesel Techs out of a job. I just thought I'd give a FYI.

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
I think most dealerships are lifting the cab these days.... I seem to recall someone having posted pictures of taking the engine out though and that required removal of virtually everything on the front end of the truck. I know you can't take it up and out like you can an OBS.

On a side note, a tech I know and trust tells me Ford has said the cab must come off for any engine work on the 6.4!!!!:eek:mg

:bolt

·
758 Posts
If you have a hoist it is easier to lift the cab. You can look at my pics in the gallery. I was looking at pulling the motor also and talked to a few people and i am glad i pulled the cab. It took me 3 hours to lift it and that was the first one i did. If i had to do it again i would lift the cab before i would pull the motor.

·
1,581 Posts
If you do end up pulling it, you might want to consider an aftermarket TC if you're shooting for big horsepower.

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i love the pics. i was definitly thinking about a better trans too but forgot to mention it. my trans has been on its way out but it is still reliable. I was thinking an ats trans what do you guys think?

thanks Bart

·
619 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
We didn't take that much off to get the engine out of mine. We removed the Intercooler and radiator, but we didn't take anymore of the frontend apart than that. Tonight we finally got it all back in. We decided on pulling the engine versus hoisting the cab because we were afraid of possibly tweaking the cab or something going off balance and dropping the cab onto the truck engine and frame.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you have a hoist it is easier to lift the cab. You can look at my pics in the gallery. I was looking at pulling the motor also and talked to a few people and i am glad i pulled the cab. It took me 3 hours to lift it and that was the first one i did. If i had to do it again i would lift the cab before i would pull the motor.

Good afternoon SoGrand, how would i be able to access your gallery showing the 'cab off' procedure?

·
Registered
2 Posts
SoGrand, I just joined so am still working out the navigation means of these threads :) I have an '07 F-350 Superduty 6.0l & have a frost plug that requires installing at the rear behind the block heater. deciding whether to cab off, engine out the front or transmission removal. I was encouraged by what you posted about the cab off & would like to access your gallery to view. Especially the part about the time of 3 hours..... impressive. Ford from a few dealers quoted 8 hours. Yikes!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts