The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its not for the faint of heart... LOL there is alot invovled... tommrow when Im at work I will post up the pics of me doing it. I got as fas as taking the valve cover off, it was 4:40 and I didnt feel like working anymore..

Tools-
Fleat head screwdriver
8mm
10mm
pliers
12mm
T30 torx (04 and newer trucks)
Or 03's 8mm for the oil log
I think its an 8mm allan head.
Long T40..
swivel 12mm
extentions

Start by taking off the air filter and intake tubing, Take out the 8mm bolts that hold the degas bottle. Wiggle the bottle out. Crimp the hose that is connected to the bottle. then take off the hose clamp. QUICKLY block the hole with your finger so coolant does get out. Flip it up and lean it against the turbo.

Now that you got some room, depending on the year(s) there are diffrent brackets to hold the FICM on.. I cant remember the the 03's off my head so Ill explain the 04+ take off the two 10mm nuts on the front bracket.And the bracket that goes to the intake tube to the turbo. Theres two 8mm bolts in the back that also hold down the FICM, Un-do the FICM, and start taking off the brackets that the FICM was sitting on, theres four 10mm nuts. Take off the 10mm ay the exhaust sensor and disconnect it.

Now time for the valve covers,( remember the pattern) or you'll be scratching your head.. take off all the valve cover bolts, the back one by the fire wall you will need a swivel socket with a 3in ext.( thats a bugger sometimes) remove the valve cover and gasket.. now your looking at the oil log. With the allan head remove the front branch tube and look at the o-rings.. IF THERE CHEWED REPLACE THEM.. or you will be going back in to do them. Take the T30 and start removing all the little bolts that hold the log down. Pry up on the log, Exposing the injectors ( do it fast the log will make a mess) take a flat bladed screwdriver and push in on the metal tab on the injector where it connect to the harness and wiggle it out. Now to get the connector out of the head I use a 3/4 or 19mm shallow socket right on the connector and get a set of pliers on the plastic in the back and it comes right out..( I will post up pics) take the long T40 and unscrew the bolt and holder. ( Its slotted so it only goes in one way) Its not like the 7.3's where you have to pry up on the injector as soon as you loosen up no that torx bolt the injector comes up with it.. pull out the old injector and put the new one in. I leave the bolt and holder as on and fit it on the new injector and drop it in as a hole.. tighten it down push the connector through, connect the connector, put the log on, branch tube, T30 bolts, valve cover, FICM, intake, degas bottle..

If you have an 03 you wont have branch tubes you;ll have a steel braided line.. that you will need a U shaped tool to take off the quick disconnect ( like the HPOP lines on a 7.3) take the 8mm bolts out first it makes the disconnect easier. ( I do have a pic of the earlier logs)

To do the passanger side. Same process but you have to take off the intercooler tube.

Like I said I will get pics up tommrow to make it easier. Fill me in If I forgot something.

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The first pic is one of a distorted o-ring on the branch tube that caused a no start when hot condition along with alot of other blown out o-rings... LOL

and the 2nd pic is of 03 oil log...

·
680 Posts
Just done mine a early 03. The original copper crush washers on mine were different than the new ones you get now. The original ID was on the washer was round and did not grip the injector tip. When removing the injector, 4 or 5 coppers were still in the hole. # 7 and 8 cylinders were a pain, but with use of a mirror, they come out.

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Posting up pics.... Now. I pulled the WRONG side injector out... me and the boss didnt catch that mistake. LOL no worrires I got the other side (passanger side) all tore down, injector out and put the log back on the drives side with the injector in, in about an hour and a half... LOL

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
dang, that looks a lot different than an 03 oil rail....want me to get some more pics for ya when i swap my inj out on friday jordan?

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
get ya a digital camera instead of your phone to take pics next time too! LOL good writeup buddy!

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
and make sure to use a GOOD 3/8" drive torque wrench when tightening down the injector hold downs. at 27-28 lbs ....and i was told to go ahead and replace the orings and copper washer anytime you reinstall injectors as well...

Also to add on the passenger side take off the oil fill neck, glow plug module & mounting bracket. And some of the bolts by the a/c are easier to get to from inside the fender well

if i notice anything else when redoing my swap i will let ya know

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey my phone did afine job... Yeah and the 04+ logs are apain in the *** to do compaired to the03's..... when you comming to FL

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well I didnt say GP mnoduel... because its kind obvious totake that off to get o the valve covers....... I may b a dodge boy but I do know my powerstrokes.... what next HPOP?

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
yes. HPOP. do oil cooler if its not up yet either. the pics came out good for bein from your phone. and i liked that pic of your oil leak.

Garrett

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes. HPOP. do oil cooler if its not up yet either. the pics came out good for bein from your phone. and i liked that pic of your oil leak.

Garrett
HPOP ok sure thing boss... I actually have pics on that on my fone....... BTW i had to pull out the pump on that same truck like a week ago for a blown out o-ring.....

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
ya id like to see the hpop...i paid a ford dealer 800 to replace an oring in mine after warranty was up....that was way before i was mechanicing on mine tho...lets see how much i shoulda saved!! LOL you did a good job buddy! just messin with ya a lil and addin a few things...

was supposed to be down this week, but decided to stay here and work on the lake some since its nice this week....think dad is goin to MN, ND, SD, etc. next week...so maybe the following week to FL..?

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
for like $200-250 to replace all? at a ford dealer by a ford mechanic? i dont want to risk anything. plus im gonna try to get him to clean it up.

Garrett
ya, thats not too bad really...i would prolly have paid 200 to have it done...but i got quoted 500-600 on mine....for that much i said i would try it myself and i have a good car hauler trailer and friends with diesels if i get too stumped! LOL :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 29 Posts