The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Long time lurker first time offender..Have a 07 with a 6.0 and it keeps gelling up..4 times now this winter..Buy my diesel from a large truckstop.(Flying J) and use Powerservice in the white bottle. Changed both filters last week..Any ideas why this is happening and what could I do about it? Thanks so much...

·
3,051 Posts
I don't know what part of the country your in, but I buy all my fuel from Flying-J in north Idaho, its a very busy truck stop and I have never had any gelling issues. What kind of temps are we talking about when your gelling occurs? Are other people getting their fuel there having the same issues? Depending on the area of the country/continent, fuel stations offer different winter blends, some never winter blend because of mild climate. Most common winter blend is a mixture of no.1 and no.2 diesel fuel in varying doses or pure no.1 if your in say Alaska. And some stations now just use an anti-gel additive only=these are the ones I've heard of having the most issues with gelling. I would ask the manager at your fuel station what is done to the fuel for winter, or try a different station. If your station is a busy truck stop then usually the fuel is good, so I don't know why your truck is gelling other than the fuel is not right for the conditions your in. Oh, and I almost forgot, welcome to TDG, alot of good "offenders" on here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Harry I live in cental IA..The flying J that I get my fuel from is on I80/I35 so it sees plenty of traffic. I dont trust the blending done there that is why I add powerservice to the fuel..Todays temp was -11 when it gelled up..I have it outside running as we speak, going to try to drive it again..Should I add some 911 to it? or anything else that would help it..I cant get it into a warm garage and let it warm up like it needs..Thanks..

·
I Wanna Go Fast!
4,006 Posts
Try some 911 and see if it helps cant hurt also would try a different station. Also if you are adding the powerservice then its probably the bio diesle blend is too high. When you changed your fuel filters did you have any slimmy stuff. People have been finding that the bio diesle percentage is too high and causing problems. Go to another station.

·
Registered
281 Posts
If you use your fuel/water drain occasionally I can only imagine it's the fuel ..I'm in the same temps as you, with no problems.

I normally use Express Diesel with no issues, switched to fleet-Farm once and had unstable idle/higher engine temps/rough starts :leghump

Good luck~

·
always looking for more
419 Posts
I'm in eastern Iowa, and I've gelled up twice this year myself. I use powerservice liberally also. I talked to my COOP manager and he said they were only blending #1 fuel in at 10% along with an anti gel additive at the pump. I started buying my fuel in the next town over and their COOP manager told me he was blending #1 fuel in at 30%. No more problems for me, although I can't imagine you getting bad fuel at the Flying J, I know just what truck stop you're talking about on the West side of DesMoines. I've never heard of anyone having troubles filling up at a big truck stop, but I don't know what else could be your problem. My advise: Find another station to fill at and ask whoever is in charge what they're doing to their fuel for the winter.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I'm in western IL and we have been having ALOT of gelling issues here. I have noticed the white bottle Powerservice doesn't seen to be very effective this year. The red bottle 911 still works well and I have had good luck with Schaeffer's and Standadyne

·
571 Posts
It seems to me that a truck stop would have less interest in making sure their fuel is up to snuff for cold weather since 90% of their business is "just passing through" and never gets shut off. I'd almost expect a station that services locals would be more sensitive to local conditions.
But then again, I live in NorCal and it's only got down to 26deg or so.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Well just to add my .02. are u sure u are gelling and not getting water in your fuel and freezing. 2nd the company i drive for runs the same fuel we deliver and it is strait #2 with power service anti-gel treatment, i have seen temps lower than -20s and no problems so make sure that it is a gelling issue and not a moisture issue. the later seems to be the #1 cause of so called "gelling" around hear. BTW if u read your owners manual most diesel engines will not run very well on a blend of more then a 50\50 #1 and #2 fuel and some may void warranty for running higher blends then that. Me personaly I wont run a blended fuel, strait #2 with additive will be good to at least 30 below(depending on the amount of additive).

Scott

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
:whs: Most times the water in the fuel is what freezes and commonly people call it gelling when in all reality they have moisture in their tanks. I have never had a truck "gel" up. Now, I have had water in the filter of my first truck ('87 6.9) and thought it was gelling. I poured 2 bottles of power service in that thing and couldnt figure it out. Needless to say when I pulled the filter and poured it out the fuel poured just fine. But the filter was still heavy from the ice in it. I personally dont run blended fuel either. I like to know that my fuel is blended to "my" specs.

·
w_huisman
241 Posts
I'm in EXTREME NW Iowa, and I never gell up. (knock on wood)

When it's below zero, I never let the tank get below half-full, and fuel up with either ...

a) 40-50% no. 1 blended with no. 2 along with the usual 2gallons of fuel to 1 oz of white bottle Power Service, or...

b) straight no. 2 with a double-dose of white bottle Power Service (1oz per gallon).

I prefer (a) only because I feel a little more peace of mind, but no.1 isn't available most of the time in my small town so I usually have to go with option (b).

Keeping the tank above 1/2 full is EXTREMELY important, just as much as 50/50 blending of 1 & 2 or adding anti-gelling additive.

This works for me. I haven't gelled up since I began following these guidelines 5 years ago, and during this time I've traveled in temps close to -20 a couple times per year, and down to -36F once in northern Minnesota.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well thanks for all the info. fellas.. I am going to start getting my fuel at a differnt station to start..Sounds like it may be warming up this week..Hopefully its for good...

·