The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There will be another diesel in my driveway before fall this year just don't know which one yet, which leads me into my question. Are there any members that own the 6.0 that didn't feel the need to soup it up with programmers and yet still experienced some of the inherented issues that this motor seems to have? I guess what is making me ask this is because of the few mechanics that I have taken the time to talk with about this motor all seemed to come to the same conclusion that many of the problems that the 6.0's that they had to work on was because of the chips and programs that had been installed. I'm not interested in hearing from the "chip" guy so much as I have no desire to add HP or torque, this motor has plenty for what I'm pulling. Thank you.

·
PitBullPowerStroker
154 Posts
Even stockers have *some* of all the issues you hear about.
Maybe not so fast though. Thats why its important always do an Oasis report search on any truck you might be looking at.

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even stockers have *some* of all the issues you hear about.
Maybe not so fast though. Thats why its important always do an Oasis report search on any truck you might be looking at.
I agree, I hope I wasn't making it sound like the stock rigs had no problems. Did you buy your 04 new or used? I'm afraid that I have not heard of an Oasis report, what exactly is this?

·
1,661 Posts
An Oasis report is a record that ford keeps on file up to 10 years that will tell them every thing that was done to the truck while it was under warranty.

·
1,060 Posts
yes stock trucks due still experience the same issues, yet you don't seem to be playing with your hand so far in the fire, as mine is stock have original head gaskets. I have had a few issues not terrible ones but a few you can see most of my repairs in my Sig, most were needed to be done because the guy that owned mine before me did not due the maintenance like he should have ( his ex-wife could have had the oil changed FOR FREE at her work if he drove 2 blocks and dropped it off at lunch as often as he liked but he refused and did extended oil intervals with knock off filters and fuel filters after they clog, always drove till the over head display said 0miles to empty ect....) yet I have a fairly dependable rig I can hook 8K lbs to and know I wont be stranded somewhere. I trust my power-choke with MY FAMILY, enough said. But stuff dose still happen be prepared for the unkown but you can take steps to check for the some of the main things that go wrong before they go.

·
PitBullPowerStroker
154 Posts
I agree, I hope I wasn't making it sound like the stock rigs had no problems. Did you buy your 04 new or used? I'm afraid that I have not heard of an Oasis report, what exactly is this?

I bought my truck new in 04.. I upgraded a few things right away but not a tuner and it pulled a 14k lbs 5th wheel flawlessly for 2 years straight.
All the time..
All stock 6.0s potentially have a wire harness rubbing issue, icp sensor and pigtail update, egr cooler leak, clogged egr valve , etc but luckily all this was fixed before you buy one. Thats what the oasis will tell you while the truck was in warranty.
I still have mine although i did install a mild tuner eventually and still drive it without it most the time as the power is plenty.
I ride the Ducati when i feel like going fast.......:peelout

·
Neighborhood toolbox :)
137 Posts
Mine is stock

It has 140,328 miles in it.

I broke a CAC Clamp (to much turbo on a 7% grade at 75 miles per hour with 10 pounds on a trailer) and I broke the e brake clip (push the pedal to far down.... vigorously) and the FICM had to be re-flashed once.

I have replaced brakes and done fluids but so far the only problem I have had that is a "common" problem is the connector to the the sensor that measures the pressure of the injectors. About once a month I have to take the plug out and clean it and then re seat it. Other than that, knock on fender, its running like a champion.

·
powerstrokedud
3 Posts
Bone Stock

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I bought mine new in 2004 and its bone stock. I have 100,000 miles and have had only minor issues. I pull a fifth wheel camper several times a year and use it mainly for daily driving.
I always keep the oil and filter changed every 5000 miles, and the fuel filters every 10,000. It's been a good truck and has plenty of power for towing my camper. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
2 Posts
04 Used with 42K on the clock when purchased, now I have 110K on the clock. Changes: I have added the coolant filter, unplugged EGR valve, no cats, and that simple zoodad mod. I removed the butterfly in the inlet. I run 1oz/gallon of 2-cycle oil. Just dumped Hot Shot's Secret in my oil with over 3500 miles so far...

Problems:I have had a new turbo and alt, both under warranty. She is beginning to show signs of rough cold-starts. That's it. She runs great.

Next: I am going to do the CCV reroute then add an oil bypass filter.

·
1,060 Posts
Sounds like your on the right path with it :thumbsup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts