The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the diesel community, but am rapidly learning two things;

When they run...they run great!

When they break down...be prepared to spend a lot (especially with the 6.0).

I recently bought a used 03 F250, and had a diesel mechanic go with me to ensure that the engine was sound, before I bought it. He told me that the 6.0 was prone to all kinds of issues, but that the one under the hood looked to have been well maintained. It was bullet-proofed, and had a lot of Sinister Diesel upgrades done to it. It ran like a dream (I say that in the past tense). A month ago...I drove it home from work, and when I tried to start it an hour later...it would crank, but not start. I had to have it towed to a local shop that specializes in diesel repair, and after a week, they diagnosed it as a "worst case scenario."

My HPOP blew apart, and sent metal fragments through my injectors and into the Low Pressure Pump and Oil Cooler...all of which needs to be replaced. The shop quoted me around $6000 plus the diagnostic cost (so roughly $6700). My question is this...once fixed...how long before this type of thing could happen again? I love the truck...performs great (when it runs)...so I don't want to get rid of it.

·
1,216 Posts
Do you have any gauges or a scan tool that you used to watch engine parameters like coolant and oil temperatures before it broke down? It could very well be that the oil cooler was plugged to begin with. A great number of used 6.0's seem to already have plugged up oil coolers (Ford Gold coolant is that bad). That is the first thing I look for when looking at used 6.0's. Did the mechanic that went with you on the initial search have a scan tool when you both were evaluating this truck?

How do they know the low pressure oil pump was impacted?

Does that $6000 include all new (OEM from a dealership) injectors?

As far as parts go:
  • Injectors are going to be about $1600.
  • OEM HPOP's are junk and so are the ones out of the parts stores. The only ones worth buying are the upgraded ones from either Dieselsite or CNCFab (IMO the one from Dieselsite is better, but $400 more than the one from CNCFab). That puts the pump cost at $600 or $1000. Again - do not go back in with an OEM pump or a cheap pump!!
  • LPOP gears and cover are maybe $100
  • You might need a new front cover for $400 - $500
  • If you are getting a new front cover, you should get the one that allows the upgrade to a larger water pump - which will add $200
  • gaskets $100 or so (even with a Dieselsite HPOP, you want the motorcraft seal kit)
  • Oil change is $100
  • coolant system flush and new coolant may be around $300.
Even with a $1000 Dieselsite HPOP, the parts total is around $4000. $2700 in labor seems high to me.

I can get you part numbers and web site links if you want to buy the parts yourself to ensure that they are good parts.

IMO the shop is gouging you a bit, unless something else (like failed lifters) has taken out the LPOP. You can tell that by the type of imprints that are left on the LPOP gears. If the shop has the LPOP gears out, go and take pictures of them and post them here. Also, what metal was found in the oil rails or in the IPR valve? For this kind of money, I would be asking a LOT of questions.

Even after you repair this, who knows about head gaskets (or worse yet lifters). If this engine had a plugged oil cooler for very long, the oil could have been operated at a high temperature for many miles. That's not good at all.

Lastly, most reputable shops will not add the diagnostic cost to the bill.

Oh - and Sinister Diesel parts are mostly junk ..........

·
1,216 Posts
I guess this was an "I just want to vent ..... I don't need any advice" thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2005 F350 SD 6.0L Dully crew cab had the engine Bullet proofed in 2015 after Hotstart issues. Would run stop go into a store come out no start or when going down the highway stall. Randy's Off Road Marysville, WA did the Bullet Proof work which included the new HPOP which came with the system. Hopefully when the Bullet Proof system was done they replace the HPOP. When I had the system done I also had new injectors, exhaust to go along with my K&N air intake. In the shop right now for another issue but I am having a B&D Stage one turbo put on. Truck runs like a bear. Sorry to hear the mess your in. If they did put in the HPOP maybe the guys in Mesa AZ who furnish the BULLET PROOF SYSTEM WILL HELP OUT> Email away.

·
1,216 Posts
The OP of this thread hasn't been back in 14 days (since starting the thread).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts