The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Curmudgeon
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a later long block such as an '06 be used in an '03 with the installation of the '03 intake, turbo, etc along with the harness modification to move the ICP connector over to the passenger valve cover?

Just thinking about the worst.

·
721 Posts
As far as I can remember the blocks are the same. It is the heads, rocker boxes, intake manifolds, turbo, egr cooler, hpop that changed. Look into the 6.0 bible there is a changes section by year if I recall.

·
Curmudgeon
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, got that. But if you have an '06 long block, with heads and everything under the valve covers, can the '03 turbo pedestal (and therefore turbo), intake manifold, EGR cooler all be utilized up on top of an '06. As far as I understand the only engine connection and control that is different is the ICP pressure sensor location. The only truly way to know is if someone tried it.

·
3,051 Posts
Reactions: dbennett48

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
The only real issue/difference externally is the location of the ICP sender. Just make an extension harness from under the turbo to the passenger valve cover. The intake manifolds will interchange, just be sure to use the '03/Early-'04 stuff with '03/Early-'04 stuff and the Late-'04.5-07 with the Late-'04.5-07 when it comes to the intake elbow, intake manifold, EGR valve, EGR cooler, Up Pipes, Y-pipe, Turbo, and turbo pedestal.

Everything else should bolt up. The only other major difference with 6.0L engines is the rear covers on automatics and manuals, they use different rear covers for the different bell housing patterns.

Physically using an '06 engine in an '03 should be fine and not that difficult, it's the mixing and matching of internal and sub-assembly parts from early and late engines that will cause you grief.

Sent by my right thumb!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts