The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been quite awhile since I have posted on here. Let me start by saying the last 8 months with my beloved truck have not been good to me.

Started last summer with an over heating issue. Coolant temps where 230+ and oil was 240+. I have changed all of the following: EGR cooler, oil cooler (high flow unit), radiator (mishimoto), fan clutch, water pump, flushed coolant 3 times and I still overheat when pulling a load. My load is a 2011 Montana the weighs in at 15,000 lbs (roughly). Before last year, I never overheat. I was able to run any hill at 45 mph and temps always below 230. Now with the same trailer and same hills, I can't make it to the top above 25 and temps above 230 and climbing. Now in the last two trips (June and July) I have also puked at least half a gallon out of the degas bottle during tow of the major climbs that I take.

So my question is, what is next? My truck is a 2006 F-350 Dually 6.0l 5R110 4:30 gears. I am studded, 4"exhaust, CAI, Powermax turbo, Banks 6 gun (run on level one when I tow) tuned my innovative, bulletproof style Egr COOLER, Atlas 40 tuned FICM, factory rebuilt transmission.

ANd before anyone says to tune back to stock, I have tried stock, Innovative tow tune, Banks ( up to level 4), etc. It is not the tune.

I have put some much money into this truck, and I love her, but when is enough is enough. Thinking about buying a F-450.

Can anyone shed some light on this please????

·
323 Posts
Have you had an oil analysis done? Was there any coolant in the oil?

You didn't state the mileage. How much blowby is there?

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have not done an oil analysis. truck has 140,000 miles on it. In both instances I have lost between a quart and half gallon when it puked. No oil in coolant or coolant in oil that I can see.

·
323 Posts
That's pretty low mileage.
When it's warmed up and running, are you getting any bubbles in the coolant?
Park the rig on a decline, pull the egr valve and leave it parked like this overnight. (This is a good time to clean the egr valve)
In the morning, check the bottom of the hole where the EGR valve was for the presence of moisture. The soot inside should be dry packed powder. If the soot is greasy feeling or you see any indication of water, your egr cooler has failed again.
I'm not a 6.0 guy, but it sounds like a headgasket.
To check for popped head gaskets:
Get a pressure gauge installed into the small coolant line that returns to the degas bottle from the intake manifold. The pressure should not go above 16psi. If it does, your head gaskets are toast.
When you replace the headgasket, go with studs.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Head gaskets. Used to experience the same symptoms with 5.0L Mustangs with superchargers on them when they'd fail the gaskets. The gaskets fail in the perimeter of the cylinder, the area known as the "fire ring" prior to the change to MLS technology. Compression from the cylinder is passed by the gaskets into the cooling system, they end up in the head and this allows the head to overheat, when load drops, the gasses passing the gasket slo, the coolant does its job again but it gets really hot and stays that way.

Reactions: jdydiesel

·
3,051 Posts
Have to agree, headgaskets, warped head-s, cracked head-s

Harry

·
18 Posts
Been quite awhile since I have posted on here. Let me start by saying the last 8 months with my beloved truck have not been good to me.

Started last summer with an over heating issue. Coolant temps where 230+ and oil was 240+. I have changed all of the following: EGR cooler, oil cooler (high flow unit), radiator (mishimoto), fan clutch, water pump, flushed coolant 3 times and I still overheat when pulling a load. My load is a 2011 Montana the weighs in at 15,000 lbs (roughly). Before last year, I never overheat. I was able to run any hill at 45 mph and temps always below 230. Now with the same trailer and same hills, I can't make it to the top above 25 and temps above 230 and climbing. Now in the last two trips (June and July) I have also puked at least half a gallon out of the degas bottle during tow of the major climbs that I take.

So my question is, what is next? My truck is a 2006 F-350 Dually 6.0l 5R110 4:30 gears. I am studded, 4"exhaust, CAI, Powermax turbo, Banks 6 gun (run on level one when I tow) tuned my innovative, bulletproof style Egr COOLER, Atlas 40 tuned FICM, factory rebuilt transmission.

ANd before anyone says to tune back to stock, I have tried stock, Innovative tow tune, Banks ( up to level 4), etc. It is not the tune.

I have put some much money into this truck, and I love her, but when is enough is enough. Thinking about buying a F-450.

Can anyone shed some light on this please????
your symptom sound like the typical stretched head bolt thing. I did a lot of research on this engine back in 2006 both Ford and IH were very cooperative

Just geussing, are you sure you don't have a transmission issue? I've had a similiar issue on gm trucks years ago only to discover the tranny had blown out its fluid causing the over heat. Filled the tranny up let her cool and went on down the road. That was my last GM truck
I like you love my 6.ah oh mine just hit 100k and if she breaks I will fix her. She is a beast when it comes to towing always for me so far she just does the job like a trooper but the heaviest I've towed is 13,000 pounds of honey in drums on a car hauler but I have the stock 3.73s I believe. My truck is always towing something often farm tractors cars honey boats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts