Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be touchy.

Well yesterday I recieved my egr cooler delete by liberty diesel performance. Yes the one that is $595. I bought for the simple reason to find out why its pricey. I am a manufacturing Engineer and took it to work to have it quoted. I could have it made for $35 dollars by a multiple number of suppliers. I bought it for several reasons. I made one for myself before I bought this one but I wanted to see what this was about.

then I look at turbos. I know some people are charging anywhere from $1900 to $2800 for a rebuilt turbo with upgrades. Yes I bought one of those as well to see the performance of it and do some research. I know that these turbos have about $900 worth of parts and machining. I know the part numbers that were used to make this turbo or one like it. And no I wont list them. Is this worth it. I know if I bought a rebuilt battery, It would be a fraction of the cost of a new one. Remember, There is also a core charge...Why? I know when I buy say a new Turbonetics or a Garret there is no core..

Then comes injectors. Why are some less than $2000 and some companys charge anywhere from $2500 to over $3000 grand for basically a rebuilt product with some machining enhancements. If you take away the machining which takes setup and machine time, and the parts where is all the money for. I know there are some guys whoes prices are lower and when innovation starts being avaible to others than prices usually go down.

Why do we pay this. why because we let them. There are alot more things are there that are overpriced on a 6.0l and hopefully we can list them.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
fuel systems, pretty much all of the pre made "delete" kits (egr cooler, valve, up pipe, etc.), ....?:sofa

granted, there is time and R&D in these products, but there has to be a certain point to where you can make money and also not overcharge....for instance we sell additives for concrete and we have products that work VERY well in on site mix concrete trucks, we also provide dispensing equipment to use our chemicals, make sure their trucks put out materials properly, give mix designs, etc. and the ONLY thing we charge for is the chemical which is competitively priced with others that only ship out chemical and no more....:popcorn:

·
New Stroker
200 Posts
I've been holding off starting this thread myself. I agree that it is disgusting how badly the 6.0L community gets shafted for parts. For example, any of the aftermarket non-VGT options for our trucks run $2600-$3100 for turbo, pedestal and uppipe adapter. You can buy the turbo seperately for about $1500, and the materials to make the pedestal and adapter can be had for under $100.:shrug: I think the aftermarket would see more sales if the prices were more inline. I will be building my own pedestal and new uppipes and saving $1500 to put towards injectors. Heck, I may even build my own set of compounds considering you can buy both turbos for under $2100 if you run a non-ball bearing combo. Maybe I'm lucky because I can fabricate my own parts, but it still doesn't mean that the rest of the people that can't should have to pay so dearly.:poke:

·
1,649 Posts
i agree that some of these parts are over priced....but guys like us can make our own parts for our ownselves or a couple buddys.....but could u supply the nation and the others that buy our stuff?????????????? i know i couldnt i can make egr cooler deletes for 20$ but theres no way i could supply everyone that would want one...takes really expensive machines, employees, and insurance for the employees..ect. maybe im wrong

·
883 Posts
I completely agree rob. There are many things I could say but I dont have enough time. I agree that there is capital involved with all manufacturing and selling products. But the markup on this stuff is outrageous.

·
3,306 Posts
I totally agree with what you saying rob. For a dodge and a ford to make the same amout of HP, it's gonna cost the ford guy probably about 4 times as much as the dodge guy. For us ford guys that wanna reach a dependable 500 hp without drugs, it's probably gonna cost at least 10K. Where as it would probably cost the dodge guy about 3-4K. And this just makes me sick cause i'm a die-hard ford guy that likes to prove a point to some dodge guys that a ford can hang with them.

·
883 Posts
strokin6L said:
I totally agree with what you saying rob. For a dodge and a ford to make the same amout of HP, it's gonna cost the ford guy probably about 4 times as much as the dodge guy. For us ford guys that wanna reach a dependable 500 hp without drugs, it's probably gonna cost at least 10K. Where as it would probably cost the dodge guy about 3-4K. And this just makes me sick cause i'm a die-hard ford guy that likes to prove a point to some dodge guys that a ford can hang with them.

Well to get a dodge to do that you will need a smarty a fully built trans, and some fuel help. Im going to guess that would be more along the lines of 7-8K. The big problem with the ford is its crap fuel system is what holds it down from making power as easy as a cummins or dmax.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
not to stray from robs post, but just to clarify one of my buddies with an 06 cummins has a smarty and exhaust as his only mods and he put down like 5-10 less rwhp than i did with propane....but my track times are much faster since hes on stock tranny...

back to Original topic...

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can someone explain the price for most injectors? Why are some of the guys charging in the $3000 range? How about over $2000 for a used or “REBUILT” turbo
The only thing that is cheaper on my truck was the spring lift itself….The shocks cost me $1500 alone but the lift was about a grand.

Can you all believe I bought the EGR cooler delete

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
if it cost that much and you coulda got it made yourself for that little...NO, thats insane! LOL

·
883 Posts
$2K for a turbo that is rebuilt is a joke. All they do is machining and minor modifications!? I told you we should have made that EGR cooler delete, I knew it was going to be a joke.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
wheres a link to it, ive never seen one...? or pics?

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
http://www.liberatorperformance.net/

you will find I am not afraid to spend money to see what something is or try it out. I have personally tried every programmer out there not to mention a ton of other things just to see what it is all about

as for making one myself...I wanted to see what this was about...

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
It is ridiculous what we have to pay for upgrades. Why do the Dodge guys get it for so much cheaper?

·
Contain the BTU's...
650 Posts
Marketing……

In a nut shell, somewhere along the way our aftermarket suppliers realized that we, the consumers, were “OK” with $500.00 being the normal price point of everything.

Profit, overhead, R&D recovery, etc, etc all must be absorbed within the sales price. Most 6.0 owners understand aftermarket components are typically above OEM equals. (excluding Dealers of course).

I completely agree with your position Robt, unfortunately the PSD market place continues to have companies determined to make 300% margins and we the consumers continue to pay it……Our most persuasive method of change is our choice of where to use the credit cards!!!

Bottom line, when we purchase from entities we feel are priced fairly, the high end venders will either adjust pricing or close the doors.

:usflag

Wekiwa

·
345 Posts
I still cant figure out why a plastic tube with a filter on the end of it is $300 plus (cold air intake.....Please)

·
883 Posts
Im very cynical but I feel half of the supposed 'performance adders' dont work anyways. Intake elbows? you might get a 1kpa less backpressure. Im not going to get started on this one. Rob knows my thoughts. The problem I have with most aftermarket products in automotive is there are no standards to which things are designed to. I get so sick of hearing the crap 'my 190 injectors will flow more then your 225's'....funny thing is does anyone actually have the equipment to measure injection cycles and distances?

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Barry,
I thought I told you but maybe I didnt.
I know CAsserly now has a flow bench. So his injectors are flowed to a standard of his. Hypermax I know has a flow bench, not that I would buy thiers. As far as the rest..............I dont know

The one thing that is funny is if you look at who is spending money on advertising that shows how much profect they make. Ats is a real huge company and Im sure makes millions. They buy SCT by the 1000's and they have them private labeled because of the volume. They have full page ads which cost on the upward of $25000 for one month. How can some companys spend that if they only have been around for a short time...how by over charging for their services. If you look at some vendors, they have small ads in magazines in the back listing their companys....

BArry is right..Some of these items we buy are a joke..Like the EGR cooler delete I just bought. I bought to make a point...Not sure what it is, I just wanted to see what it was. I am looking into this patent with my legal department at my company....There maybe a loop hole to makeing these. Not that I want to sell them. The shi$%iest thing I ever bought was the intakeelbows.com elbow. What a pile of crap. I now have the CFM+ large mouth...That thing is huge but again, overpriced in my opinion but then again there are R&D,molds and advertising that has ben done.

When ARP studs 1st came out they were around $650..Now you can get them for around$450 shipped...There needs to be more competition in order to drive price down.

·
645 Posts
How much do you think it cost arp to make one head stud? think about it.
And i know they are bigger but why is a set of 6.0 diesel head studs $600 and then a set for a sbf is $100?
Probly shouldnt say this but someone out there charges a big name performance company $25 per injector, so they got a core for free put $200 maybe a few extra bucks for orings and a couple scored plungers then they turn around and sell them for $3000 laughing all the way to the bank.

You think a chip or programmer cost anywhere enar $500 to mass produce. yeah they spent some money on designing and testing and some computer software.

i could go on and on here.

you guys want them and you will pay for it thats why they get away with it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.