The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can Anyone tell me what years and what vehicles the 6+1 overdrive trans was used? were all of these trans overdrive? where could a person get a used one at and how much could one have to expect to pay for one. thanks seth

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
sidssm said:
Can Anyone tell me what years and what vehicles the 6+1 overdrive trans was used?
Lots of vehicles & years. Ford & IH used them in probably 100-of thousands of 4000 series and F-series trucks. I think Freightliner & GMC may have used them among others. Rough guess would be 1995-2005. I'm not sure if they even stopped using them yet. Might still be available.

were all of these trans overdrive?
No. There was an OD model and a straight 7 speed model.

"where could a person get a used one at and how much could one have to expect to pay for one. thanks seth"
Any truck driveline company, like Transaxle would have them in stock. They're very popular. I paid $2,200 for mine with a 5 speed for a core. Rebuilts cost about $2,000 with a core.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
The "6+" models were used from the late '80s thru even today I think.....

The OD models are the most difficult to locate because they were an upcharge on the order form and not common. Most people opted for a gear change at no cost and slightly slower acceleration.

·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replys. Would anyone know what the partnumber or model number for the 6+1 overdrive units is? I have looked at several websites and I cannot come up with anything. I found used ones that said they were 6+1 overdrives but they had differnnt model numbers. there wasnt an o in the first 3 digits of them and I thought that designated overdrive. thanks seth

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts

·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have found a 1995 4700 with a straight 7 and it comes with a 6+1 that pops out of second. Does anyone know if this is a common problem with them and if so is it an expensive fix. I would also appreciate any advice on anything that I should look for on the truck. thanks seth

·
26 tires rolling
929 Posts
Duke said:
Not sure about what "B" stands for LOL

B is the ratio set. I belive A is a close ratio and B is a medium or wide ratio. at least that's how it is on other MD transmissions.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
sidssm said:
I have found a 1995 4700 with a straight 7 and it comes with a 6+1 that pops out of second. Does anyone know if this is a common problem with them and if so is it an expensive fix. I would also appreciate any advice on anything that I should look for on the truck. thanks seth
That is a common problem with that transmission. Not too expensive. Pick up the phone and make a few calls to your local Dana/Spicer authorized repair facility or a local reputable truck repair shop.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
sidssm said:
I have found a 1995 4700 with a straight 7 and it comes with a 6+1 that pops out of second. Does anyone know if this is a common problem with them and if so is it an expensive fix.
Seth,

This can be anything from one bearing having gotten loose, one shift rail rivet loose to a complete overhaul.

I have done all variations on this, and the cheapest you are going to get buy for is about $600 as the trans must come out and be torn down befre they will KNOW what is wrong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts