The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, need some opinions. My 82 6.2 na has more power than any other 6.2 I've ever been in (been in at least a dozen). But, the simple fact is, it still ain't enough. I'm pretty sure for it to run as good as it does, the injection pump has been tweaked, but I've never investigated it. I've got 32 in tires on now with 3.73 gears and 4 spd. I want to go to 33 in tires to bring my rpms down and increase mileage. At the same time, I want to put on a bigger exhaust system, as mine is the stock dual (soda drink straw size in my opinion). I have about half of what I need to install a turbo, but am not contemplating that for a while. My question is: what do you think (all things considered) would be the best pipe size and muffler to put on this thing? I would like for it to not be too loud, I can deal with some noise if it will adequately deal with the constipation I'm sure my engine is experiencing with this pathetic exhaust. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 86 6.2 diesel I've had for 10 years. I was looking for more power and looked into the banks turbo system for 6.2 non-turbo engines. It cost me about 2100$ but man I think it was worth it. I mean you really can't do a lot with 6.2 diesels like you can with today's diesel motors. It took me and a friend about 10 hours to install the kit. When I took it for its first test drive I was like holy crap what a difference it made. I run 40'' tires on my truck and I think its got some pretty good balls to it. I also put 5'' dual stacks on it. It sounds like an 18 wheeler coming down the road. And that turbo whistle it has when you step on it sounds freaking mean. It gets a lot of attention.

·
590 Posts
step one on my old 82 was removeing the stock mufflers. lound as hell, but helped the power a bit. step two, added glass packs. happy overall, but wanted more. step three, went to 3in straight exhaust, tweaked the pump,timeing and added a k&n air filter. wasnt a stock 6.9 or 7.3 n/a that would touch her then. step four[ this was back around 94'] couldnt stand it anymore, had to do it. called banks, placed an order for his system - the muffler. 1800.00 dollars and a sunday under the hood, boy's an honest to god legend was born that day. i left the timeing advanced, and sent the pump to a man who had a excellent rep for quality/performance. i also ported the intake while i had it off. when i reinstalled the pump and took the first drive, it had even more power. for three solid years, i never lost a race to another diesel pickup, no matter the brand. finally in 97 a friend of mine bought a new ford with 3.55 gears and a 5spd, after a month of pestering me for a race, we did. after i hit my redline [ 3.73 gears and a 4spd] he finally passed me. still have folks ask me about that truck, and still have it. put a fresh engine in it 3 years back, finally broke the crank due to a faulty balancer. keep your exhaust temps under 1150 ish, and it will stay together. go over that for long, and you will start cracking pistons. in 381k miles on the original engine, a cracked piston was my only issue along the way. those old engines wont stay with the newer competition, or an old 12v with new tricks. but ten+ years ago, i had a blast tormenting the hell out of folks with trucks much newer!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
navistar45 said:
step one on my old 82 was removeing the stock mufflers. lound as hell, but helped the power a bit. step two, added glass packs. happy overall, but wanted more. step three, went to 3in straight exhaust, tweaked the pump,timeing and added a k&n air filter. wasnt a stock 6.9 or 7.3 n/a that would touch her then. step four[ this was back around 94'] couldnt stand it anymore, had to do it. called banks, placed an order for his system - the muffler. 1800.00 dollars and a sunday under the hood, boy's an honest to god legend was born that day. i left the timeing advanced, and sent the pump to a man who had a excellent rep for quality/performance. i also ported the intake while i had it off. when i reinstalled the pump and took the first drive, it had even more power. for three solid years, i never lost a race to another diesel pickup, no matter the brand. finally in 97 a friend of mine bought a new ford with 3.55 gears and a 5spd, after a month of pestering me for a race, we did. after i hit my redline [ 3.73 gears and a 4spd] he finally passed me. still have folks ask me about that truck, and still have it. put a fresh engine in it 3 years back, finally broke the crank due to a faulty balancer. keep your exhaust temps under 1150 ish, and it will stay together. go over that for long, and you will start cracking pistons. in 381k miles on the original engine, a cracked piston was my only issue along the way. those old engines wont stay with the newer competition, or an old 12v with new tricks. but ten+ years ago, i had a blast tormenting the hell out of folks with trucks much newer!
Did you ever tie the main caps together to keep the main webbing from cracking out? I've been investigating doing that before I make any performance mods and have come to the conclusion that I'm going make a bed plate that ties all the main caps together and to the block, then do my machine work. Am also looking for ways to put 20+ psi of boost to it without creating a frag grenade. Any thoughts on that?

·
590 Posts
never did anything to the original engine, except put a piston in it, and new head gaskets', bolt's. had i changed out the old original harmonic balancer, that engine would likely still be working today. did an autopsy on the old engine, and at 381k , some of the cross hatch marks were still in the cylinders, and bearings showed little wear. no cracks in the webs either. this old truck saw lots of heavy towing, and of course my hotrodding, mud hogging,and lot's of ideling. anyway, the replacment engine does have the main girdle kit installed, and some other goodies. if i were truely out to hot rod the engine, i would have sought the lower compression pistons by peninsular[ $$$] , and a intercooler of some kind. with the higher boost you are wanting, i would definitly go with lower compression pistons, and possibly a stud kit for the heads. [if you can find one]my truck is semiretired, so spending a lot of coin on it is not likely to happen, too many of my other trucks and hobbies need attention also. as for cracking in the mains, i have only seen this in one out of about 10, 6.2 engines that i have reworked. my advise, if you really like the engine and trucks they come in, spend the money if you can. however if you are out to build an engine to stay with a modded cummins or powerstroke, dont waste yor time. 6.2 and 6.5 engine's can be good durable performers, but they simply cant hang with the competors when it comes to the mod's available, and the power #'s they can produce. one more thing to take in consideration on the 6.2 /6.5 engines[ turboed], due to there high compression, and indirect injection, exhaust temps can get high quickly. generally , blowby is an early signs of an engine being too hot to often, resulting in a cracked piston. they can run like this for quite a while if not stessed to much, but when they have had enough, the piston will fragment on you. rings also get brittle from excess heat, and can eventually scour a cylinder or worse. bottom line, concentrate on keeping the engine as cool a runner as you can. if you are looking for some other tips, or otherwise, feel free to ask..

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, appreciate the info. I knew I'd be playing against a stacked deck with pumping up a 6.2 or 6.5, but... honestly...thats what makes the project soooo appealling. I love a good challenge. I've gone overboard on other projects in the past for no good reason other than just to have done it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts