The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should these trucks smoke at all? my tail pipe is black and has been this way for a long time now. just wondering if there is something wrong?
i only get 11 mpg no matter what towing or not.

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
Tailpipe will be black, but all stock you should not see smoke.

·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tailpipe will be black, but all stock you should not see smoke.
it will smoke when i get on it getting on the interstate or whatever, i was asking about the tail pipe cause i have seen trucks with alot more miles than mine be as clean as they where new.

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
You may have a problem dpf. Have you had all of your updates done?

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
I'm thinking you may have a cracked dpf.

·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking you may have a cracked dpf.
hmm, seems i asked them once before and they said it was fine, i dont know the procedure to check the dpf though, i think this was when they reprogrammed it, to be honest it dont regen that often, not like it used to.

it was stuck in regen for about 4 days one time.

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
holy crap! what was your mileage for those 4 days??

As for them not finding anything... I think I'd be a little pissed about a 4 day regen and say there was nothing wrong. I have to believe that the dpf was compromised. So, I would probably either demand a new one or take it to another dealer for a second opinion.

·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
holy crap! what was your mileage for those 4 days??

As for them not finding anything... I think I'd be a little pissed about a 4 day regen and say there was nothing wrong. I have to believe that the dpf was compromised. So,m, I would probably either demand a new one or take it to another dealer for a second opinion.
the mileage had dropped to about 8 mpg. but i dont drive it long distance unless it's a weekend. work is only like 15 min.

·
246 Posts
should these trucks smoke at all? my tail pipe is black and has been this way for a long time now. just wondering if there is something wrong?
i only get 11 mpg no matter what towing or not.
My truck is a little over a year old. It has about 10900 miles on it,
and the stock exhaust pipe looks the way it did the day I bought
the truck--clean and brand new.

I'd say your DPF is cracked. I think the dealership will most often
send you on your way because they don't want to replace a 1500
dollar DPF ( I think that's how much they are ) under warranty.
Ford doesn't want to spend the money if your truck will still run,
and the customer can pay the price in 4 day regens and 11 mpg
mileage.

·
105 Posts
i havent even had mine a year and my tips have nothing but soot on em. mine blows out a pretty good bit of smoke for some reason. i love it though. the more smoke the better. i got all my updates done and the dpf has been checked so i guess im good to go.

·
246 Posts
i havent even had mine a year and my tips have nothing but soot on em. mine blows out a pretty good bit of smoke for some reason. i love it though. the more smoke the better. i got all my updates done and the dpf has been checked so i guess im good to go.
I think Ford just wants to get these cracked DPFs past the
warranty period. Then, when the Fed mandated smog inspections
come to your town, your cracked DPF will fail, and Ford will
be taking your money for a new DPF ...

·
606 Posts
You have a cracked DPF as stated above. The problem is over time it will plug and cause the engine to run like crap. Take it to the dealer. If they won't fix it find another that will. If that is not possible a few calls to Ford with a CC to the state smog people will resolve it. You paid for the warrenty so they pay now. Good luck

·
105 Posts
You have a cracked DPF as stated above. The problem is over time it will plug and cause the engine to run like crap. Take it to the dealer. If they won't fix it find another that will. If that is not possible a few calls to Ford with a CC to the state smog people will resolve it. You paid for the warrenty so they pay now. Good luck
So your saying that if my truck is blowing out black smoke then its cracked/ messed up? well the ppl at the ford place told me nothing was wrong with it. and now that you mention it my truck has gotten to be mighty sluggish from what it used to be. and it seems to have lost power. if what you said is true then im raising heck at the ford place tomorrow or finding another dealer because im not screwing up my truck because they dont know what they're doing. but it wont matter one day because im getting the sct dpf delete programmer eventually. what happens if you get caught without the dpf on though?

·
88 Posts
Don't worry. Georgia doesn't have enough money to do much of anything much less run around checking to see if everyone has the DPF installed on their truck.

·
606 Posts
So your saying that if my truck is blowing out black smoke then its cracked/ messed up? well the ppl at the ford place told me nothing was wrong with it. and now that you mention it my truck has gotten to be mighty sluggish from what it used to be. and it seems to have lost power. if what you said is true then im raising heck at the ford place tomorrow or finding another dealer because im not screwing up my truck because they dont know what they're doing. but it wont matter one day because im getting the sct dpf delete programmer eventually. what happens if you get caught without the dpf on though?
It can't breath. The DPF is collapsing in on it's self. Even if you get the DPF delete you still want a good DPF to reinstall when you sell the truck. If the dealer still says no then ask him "what is the DPF for" removing the soot..........right? Well why is there soot in my tail pipe???? Sometimes I wonder how these dealers remain in business with some of the people working there.

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
:stupid Should the day come where you need to put it back on, you'll be glad you have it. They are NOT cheap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts