The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, three times in the last month, my truck started smoking heavily. No other problems, no CE light, nothing.....just smokes like a turned up Cummins. However, smoke is grayish, not black.

What's the prognosis? At least I'm still under warranty.

·
102 Posts
i noticed my truck smoking today as well ! and yes mine was in regen mode ive never noticed this before truck just came back from the dealer for an egr cooler replacement ! it has 65k miles and im very concerned as my truck has been tuned since its had 5k miles on it ?
i hear its a nightmare to do head gaskets on this thing lol

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it during regen mode?
Not that I can tell. I *assume* my truck only regens when it tells me so on the message center???I fear yet another big problem. So dissappointed in this truck.

One other thing I notice: I've owned diesels for 20+ years and this one has a distinct almost "valve tapping" type sound. Really has an ugly rythym to the engine. Seems to switch from one sound to another under accelleration compared to other diesels I currently own or have owned in the past.

·
780 Posts
if you don't see the message on the screen for the 2 seconds that it tells you, you can tell its in regen that when you step on the go pedal the engine and the exhaust sounds very different. and these engines do have a tap noise that they say is normal.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hate the "tap". Makes it sound like a gasser with a bad valve tap.
I think this is the worst sounding diesel I've ever owned. It pulls OK, but sounds ugly doing it.

The smoking heavy issue seems to happen at almost any situation. There's no special time, temperature, rpm, etc pattern to it. And it throws no code in the message center.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No it only does it randomly and not very often.
I thought maybe I got a bad batch of fuel.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Saw another heavy smoker today! Got behind a construction company owned 550 crewcab with a stake body and it was billowing gray smoke to the point where I had to pull off the road! Mine does the same thing. This is really obvious. Will darken 2 lanes of highway and cause cars to pull over like me or try to pass.
Anyone else experiencing this? It's a lighter gray smoke. I thought it was darker, but it's more like a white-gray smoke that comes out heavy on acceleration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts