The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day was cruising the dealer lot and seen a sweet 6.4 So the sales guy offered me a test drive and I said WHY NOT. I took it for a little drive up the interstae and over all awsome truck except one thing. I was a little dissapointed by the power. I got on it all the way going up the on ramp and it just didn't take off like i thought it would. I have a 95 with stage ones and a ts chip and it can take that ramp at about 5-10 mph faster and feels like it pulls much harder.

So is it just that the truck need more break in Cause I figured with the stock hp of 350 the 6.4 would pull away from my 95 I just would like to know anyones elses expierince going from a chipped OBS to a 6.4 No bashing here just some questions I though I would ask. Or i guess i would have to get it and get spartan right away LOL

·
1,700 Posts
they're not rocket ships, and they do have to "break in". also the new trucks are pretty quiet and smooth it makes them seem slow compared the loud and rough earlier ones mainly the obs.

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
You have to remember your comparing two completely different animals. Your truck has a chip on it and practically no emissions junk. Vs the 6.4 with no chip/tuner and loaded with emissions parts. You wouldn't believe the power of a Spartan tuned 6.4!

·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they're not rocket ships, and they do have to "break in". also the new trucks are pretty quiet and smooth it makes them seem slow compared the loud and rough earlier ones mainly the obs.
Yeah thats for sure way way way smoother and quieter than my 1 ton
i know it not a perfect comparision its not what i was going after just a difference it the power i thought it would have compared to mine thats all. If it wasn't for the small house cost of one i would be all over it. But heck for $40,000 i can add a few more go fast parts to mine for now LOL

·
606 Posts
I bet your 95 has a lot less weight to move around than the 6.4.

·
246 Posts
So the other day was cruising the dealer lot and seen a sweet 6.4 So the sales guy offered me a test drive and I said WHY NOT. I took it for a little drive up the interstae and over all awsome truck except one thing. I was a little dissapointed by the power. I got on it all the way going up the on ramp and it just didn't take off like i thought it would. I have a 95 with stage ones and a ts chip and it can take that ramp at about 5-10 mph faster and feels like it pulls much harder.

So is it just that the truck need more break in Cause I figured with the stock hp of 350 the 6.4 would pull away from my 95 I just would like to know anyones elses expierince going from a chipped OBS to a 6.4 No bashing here just some questions I though I would ask. Or i guess i would have to get it and get spartan right away LOL

My truck is just over a year old. It's still stock. It's got about
11K miles on it now. It definitely has more balls today than it did
the first month or so I was driving it. I don't know why. It still has
notable lag at the start in 1st, but nothing like when it was when new.

·
2,126 Posts
Also I've found that if I go out and romp on the truck for it while the computer seems to figure some **** out and gets it act together. (Faster)

·
31 Posts

That was and is my impression as well. I posted that a long time ago when I was first test driving looking for a new truck. The truck has PLENTY of power for hauling and towing, but the acceleration is somewhat lacking. I attribute that to the fact that my truck is somewhere near 8,000 lbs and will never be a drag racer in stock dress. That's fine with me. I drive like the old man I am anyway. But I have found that if you REALLY stick your foot in it, that horse will RUN! It just needs a little encouragement..and watch that fuel needle head for the big "E"!:D

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts
OBS dosnt weigh anything near a 6.4, plus the 6.4 dosnt feel as fast as it really is. Dosnt have that same gut punch pull of a 6.0 even though its just as fast if not faster.

·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know exacly what the truck weighted but it was a 250 x-cab 4x4 short box, mine is a crew long box and with me in it, it weighs 7960 lbs so i am guessing at least mine weights close if not a little more

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts
8500lbs

·
190 Posts
2008 CC 4X4 w 3.73 rearend bone stock with a full load of fuel 8600 lbs.

·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok i am not saying your sdon't weight that much. I am sure they do i was just going off some other reports like car and drivers test of a crew cab 6.4
4x4 and they said it was 8120 fueled and another report of a x-cab around 7,000 i didn't know they were that much more so i thought that a x-cab with no fuel would weight a few hundred less my truck

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts
Ok i am not saying your sdon't weight that much. I am sure they do i was just going off some other reports like car and drivers test of a crew cab 6.4
4x4 and they said it was 8120 fueled and another report of a x-cab around 7,000 i didn't know they were that much more so i thought that a x-cab with no fuel would weight a few hundred less my truck
Nah, not bashing you, just pointing out why it dosnt feel like its excelorating as hard as it really is.

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
Also, Not all truck scales are the same. So the exact same truck can weigh in a one place and be heavier than another scale.

·
60 Posts
2008 CC 4X4 w 3.73 rearend bone stock with a full load of fuel 8600 lbs.
Shnikeees!!!! Wow. Mine weighs 8140, same setup, with 3/4 tank. You got a heavy girl there!

Chiming in here. I noticed that mine would get up and run hard now and then but mostly accelerated slowly. Then I figured it out; After a few times of getting on it hard and having the thing stumble, I read that Matt from Spartan said you have to beat on these things now and then because the tranny learns the way you drive. So, now, I hit it hard every other drive cycle and she responds pretty well when I need it. Maybe that would account for the slow accel on the the test drive?

·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't mean for this to turn into a discusion on whats heavier or faster or feel faster. Just an observation of mine thanks for all the comments

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
Shnikeees!!!! Wow. Mine weighs 8140, same setup, with 3/4 tank. You got a heavy girl there!

Chiming in here. I noticed that mine would get up and run hard now and then but mostly accelerated slowly. Then I figured it out; After a few times of getting on it hard and having the thing stumble, I read that Matt from Spartan said you have to beat on these things now and then because the tranny learns the way you drive. So, now, I hit it hard every other drive cycle and she responds pretty well when I need it. Maybe that would account for the slow accel on the the test drive?
Correct. The transmissions on the 6.4's are adaptive to the your driving style. So If you go out and run it hard the tranny will get the message that you aint messin around and is gonna tighten up. If the dealers had done that before you drove it, it would have been a little different.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts