The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was fueling up at the interstate the other day when I spied these two big @$$ (11pass???) ford vans pull in...the first thing I noticed was the front end
Just a scaled down truck frontend...the only question I have is...do these things get the 6.4? I know the old vans got 7.3's and 6.0's...but what about the 6.4's?

·
Mafia Member #93
695 Posts
I thought I heard that they are gonna stay with the 6.0 in the vans but not sure.:shrug:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know they will have to do something for emissions...but jeez the 6.4 is a big engine in the super dooty...I have no idea how the van will fit it.

·
25 Posts
Squatch said:
E-series still has the 6.0. I'm not sure when the change over will be
Last I heard, the EPA put a halt to the 6 liter option. Ford does have the 6 liter listed as an option on the web for the 08 E's, but they are not being built yet. From what I hear, the 6.4 will not fit in the vans, thats why they were going to use the 6 oh's. BTW, these are the old 6's without dpf's or anything to comply with the new emmision standards with a huge option price of around $7,200. Make the consumer pay the fine? Hmm, I wonder why the EPA put a stop to that.

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
I hate working on diesels when there jammed in a van... good thing they never put a cummins in a dodge van.. Oh man.. that would get ugly...

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Diesel van sales are not worth the R&D costs to re-engineer them from what I have been told.

Expect the diesel option to go away. Low sales volumes, lower profits, engine troubles, DPF issues and the criticality of fuels and oils for 2007 will pretty much kill them off.

The V-10 makes VERY good power, and is not that thirsty. Everyone I know with the 6.8L likes it, but they are thirsty. Then again, you can buy a LOT of gas for $6,000 over 10 years and 70,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
The dealers do not decide what the options are, FORD does.

·
25 Posts
John_G said:
Haahaha, did you look at the link? This is a Ford document. The reason I linked to Sunrise is because it is an easier site to navigate than Ford's.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
If you read the link in post #8 from Ford, they clearly indicate that no diesel is offered for 2008.

However, your document issued a few months after that, does state "late availability" for the 6.0L - whatever "late" means.

So we will see, apparently Ford has changed their mind....

·
1,130 Posts
The 6.0 doesn't meet the emissions requirements. So I doubt their will be a 6.0 in any Ford Vehicles in 08.

·
25 Posts
tgatch said:
The 6.0 doesn't meet the emissions requirements. So I doubt their will be a 6.0 in any Ford Vehicles in 08.
Correct, but supposedly Ford was going to pay the fine for each psd van sold out of the huge $7,200 option price. I guess the EPA didn't like that idea so they put the brakes on that idea. I asked the fleet manager at the dealer in town, and he told me Ford started selling the 6.4 in the F series before they had to. This buys them credits to use for the 6oh in the E series, kinda like cafe standards I guess. I don't know any of this to be true though. Btw, there is a guy on tds with one on order, but I have not heard when or if he is going to get it. So it looks like Ford will let you order one, but who knows if you'll get it.

·
645 Posts
they have to figure out a way to do it, im sure they will they dont give a **** about the guy whos got to fix their screw ups. diesel vans are allot more popular than you think. all thoose cutaways that get turned into busses, we get tons of them at my work from the airport, hotels, limo services, schools, public transportation. but we were told they were comming out a year later like they did with 6.0s.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Wait...

If I recall correctly, the 6.4L PSD did not become available until after mid-Jan. 2007 (due to production delays). I cannot see how Ford has any credits to use with the vans, but anything is possible the way the laws are written now-days.

·
125 Posts
There was probably a small time gap during the transition between the two engines. And it wouldn't surprise me if Ford passes the EPA fines to the end user of these 6.0 equipped '08's?

·
Banned
252 Posts
John_G said:
wow, really?

·
Banned
252 Posts
Ford will just put the 4.5L in the vans, wait and see...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts