The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently had a truck get totaled out in my drive way by a drunk driver, I was just looking for some opinions on buying a used 6.4l power stroke. Good / bad all comments appreciated. I been doing a lot of reading on other forums but this is the first one i subscribe to. Thanks in advance for input.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I will take the other side of the aisle and say avoid it. Mine sounds terrible and has had some pretty pricey repairs. Dealer urged me to extend warranty.

·
606 Posts
Mine bought new 96,000 no problems. The smog crap and radiators cause most the problems.

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses, a local dealer told me to avoid them. He said they are very problematic and unlike the 6.0 which brakes alot and often, when a 6.4l brakes they tend to self destruct... any comments on this bit of info. For those spartan tuned, how are your trucks holding up on what tune and any further engine mods like studs?

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, In that case, that makes me feel a little better. Thanks GUTTS. I went test drive a stock one at a used dealer ship and fell in love with the 6.4l the power and ride was incredible being I was use to driving a little 4 door Toyota Tacoma. Then to top it off I took a friends one out which was spartan tuned and I just thought I was in love with the stock truck. The Spartan tuned 6.4l I drove was amazing and very responsive. So I think i am going to go ahead and bite the bullet and get one.

Any1 else have any response to there Spartan tuned 6.4l, how many miles tuned, any troubles, any mods to the engine, and what tunes are being ran with mods or no mods.

Thanks yall, jut trying to get all the info I can before I get in waste deep.

·
TDG Mafia Member #25
1,447 Posts
About 10k miles tuned, and 35k miles on the truck. Normally run just the 150 horse tune to keep the stock clutch happy, and the puffs of soot of the line small. I have to be careful not to spin the clutch with the 210 tune in the higher gears. Fuel economy is rock solid numbers at 18 unloaded speeding and no less than 15 towing.

I'll never sell my 7.3L, but it is parked for now basically to keep it cherry, as the 6.4L runs circles around it.

Just keep the dashdaq on when runnin' to have full safety net of all the numbers, and she'll run better and cooler than stock.

Adrianspeeder

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Did you do anything to the DPF? Does the Spartan do anything to the DPF? I pretty much have to leave mine alone because it's a commercial truck subject to random inspections.

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From my research, Spartan has tunes for both the DPF off and DPF on. However, I have read that the DPF on tunes are not that great due to the fact that the DPF clogs up faster and goes in to regen more often.

·
53 Posts
34,000 miles and a bed plate leak (warranty) and a leaky radiator (my $1200 problem). Other than that, awesome! It did have a slight weight reduction at approx 20,000 miles, the best thing that I did to it.

As above, there are lemons of all brands.

Buy one and start enjoying it today.

Tim

·
TDG Mafia Member #25
1,447 Posts
Did you do anything to the DPF? Does the Spartan do anything to the DPF? I pretty much have to leave mine alone because it's a commercial truck subject to random inspections.
I put it in a box in the garage with the cat.

Everything looks factory, and uses the stock mounts, so that would have to be a really picky inspection.

Adrianspeeder

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just found a 2009 with 80k miles on it, Probably going check it out tomorrow and hopefully buy it if it all checks out good. Its a 4x4 Lariat, seems to be in very good shape from the pictures I have seen.

Anything to look out for or keep a eye open to while inspecting the truck and test driving it??

·
606 Posts
Did you get the 2009?

·
606 Posts
Hint........................loose the DOC/DPF, you will be happy, and your motor will be to. Congrats on your new truck.

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hint........................loose the DOC/DPF, you will be happy, and your motor will be to. Congrats on your new truck.
Thanks man, going to order a delete, intake and tune in the next week. I been doing some research, but who would you recommend for the " Intake, Exhaust down pipe back, and Tuner"

1 - 20 of 34 Posts