The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else experience this? I'm hearing about lifters letting go.
Upon heavy accel, I'm getting what sounds like a nasty valve tap. Is this a sign of something getting ready to let go?

·
Let it all Ride
1,316 Posts
Sounds just about every 6.4 I've ever rhode in. The company I work for has well over 200 of these trucks.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I'm hearing from others. It sounds like an 80's big block with valve tapping and a really bad sounding turbo.
I feel like I have to baby this thing or it might grenade.

·
Let it all Ride
1,316 Posts
That's what I'm hearing from others. It sounds like an 80's big block with valve tapping and a really bad sounding turbo.
I feel like I have to baby this thing or it might grenade.
You've pretty much had nothing but complaints with this truck. In fact, I can't remember a single time that you've said anything you like about it. Did you test drive the truck before you baught it? Have you thought about getting rid of it?

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You've pretty much had nothing but complaints with this truck. In fact, I can't remember a single time that you've said anything you like about it. Did you test drive the truck before you baught it? Have you thought about getting rid of it?
Good question(s).
Like;
Cab room
door pockets for storage
Tow command
upfitter switches
suspension is hard, but strong
Dislikes:
Engine seems unreliable
Trans is a little behind the times

I did drive other F-550's before I bought this one. Mine just seems to have more racket from the engine compartment than others I drove.

I would try to get rid of it, but I have to admit, there's few if any other trucks this small rated to tow this kind of weight. When I bought it, there wasnt a Dodge 5500 available anywhere near as cheap and the GMC4500/5500 although better trucks, don't have the GCWR I need for some reason.
I'm still getting to know this truck and maybe the sounds I'm hearing are normal. It just doesn't run as smooth, quiet and powerful as my GMC3500.
Maybe that's just the way it is....:bdh

·
1,606 Posts
Tune it and delete it, you'll LOVE it!

·
750 Posts
can you gut the DPF and leave it inplace, And remove the pins in the plugs for the sensors? Just thinking out loud.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know me Dave. I'm too old & conservative to mess with the long arm of the law.

·
750 Posts
Mine does not Tap that I ever heard. i get timming rattle above 2K RPM but if i stay on it that goes away by 2500 RPM. I know they had issues with bent push rods. Maybe it has some bent push rods and has the valves lose. It could have had a bad egr cooler at some point in its life and got coolent into cyl. # 8 and bent the push rods on start up with no one knowing.
Again just thinking outloud..

Reactions: Duke

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it's the timing rattle. It's really weird. In tow/haul, it sounds freakin awful and it changes pitch while accelerating from a weird timimg rattle to quiet and rattle again.
I hate this engine. Sounds cheap and ready to grenade.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts