The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
62 Posts
So a truck came into the shop this weekend. Complaint is vehicle stalled and will not start. Compression check shows problem on bank one. Manual compression check of cyl 4 shows 0 psi compression. When glow plug was removed it was noticed that tip was missing. Removed injector and found tip of injector damaged. Engine will come apart tomorrow. I am not the tech working on this vehicle but I am watching closely to see what is going on.

·
1,606 Posts
That CANT be good!

·
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher
1,065 Posts
I have one question on this series of the engine how far do the glowplugs extended to the cylinder area ??

Merci.
Marc

·
1,700 Posts
This looks like the same thing I saw a couple months ago
Posted here

I have one question on this series of the engine how far do the glowplugs extended to the cylinder area ??

Merci.
Marc
The glow plugs go through the valve cover, into the head and the tip is directly in the combustion chamber. They dont really stick out in the combustion chamber as there is no room when the piston is at TDC. BTW the glow plugs and injectors go through the valve cover and are serviced without removing the covers, just the inner fender and a few noise shields and GPM on RH side

Reactions: french277

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know what happened first. Glow plug failure or valve failure? All I know is a whole lot of parts get damaged. If you look at one angle, the glow plug has a bulge near the base. I would think this is from something hitting the tip and causing the damage. I'm not an engineer but I would think that would mean something was in the cylinder that hit the glow plug before it broke.

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New engine should be here soon. I don't think there is an issue of a aftermarket program. I think was just one small part failure that caused a lot of damage. I am sure all the old parts will be called back and inspected and a solution will be found.
I checked how far the glow plug sticks into the cyl and it looks like 3/8 of an inch. They do stick in more than a 6.0 or 6.4.

·
52 Posts
Sorry to hear about your truck, that just sucks, no matter what you drive. We spend way to much money on these trucks to have a major failure, like this one. It sounds like you have a great dealer, they stepped up to the plate, as they should.

Any idea what caused this problem. Is it just a fluke or a real problem in design? If so, what will Ford do to make sure this is an isolated incident? Good luck, I think the new Ford have a lot of potential.

·
393 Posts
Here are some more pics. In MY opinion I think it dropped a valve or valve seat and then everything came apart. We will never know for sure......
Why did you decide to have the pictures pulled from this thread? I'd like to see that you're talking about, instead of having to visualize it in my head.

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I asked for the pics to removed. There is no legal issue for TDG. It was brought to my attention that there could be an employment issue if the pics were to be tracked somehow to me directly. You see, I work on these trucks all day. This is my job/carrier. I like my job and still think it is fun. I would like to keep it that way. Call it posters remorse if you want.

I do think there is no harm talking about the subject though. Yes there was an engine failure. There is no way of telling what came first. The damage is far enough that you can't tell what happened first. Cyl 4 dropped 3 valve heads. Those valve heads did enough damage that you can't tell what caused it. I am sure Ford already has a good idea and working on a fix.:thumbsup

·
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher
1,065 Posts
I can understand the situation realted to the photo and I am sure the Ford Motor Compaine is working very hard to slove the issue and I know they don't really want to repeat what couple other engines before have some issue so I am sure they will do everything in right way.

747MD11 .,

Can you PM me the forum where you are at so I will like to read up more details if that ok with you?

Merci.
Marc

·
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher
1,065 Posts
well, maybe not to the level of a full solid suspension, but they did upgrade / increase their size by 60% for 2011 ... they insist that they're no longer a weak point, but in the end, this is still an independent suspension.. albeit with a 6000 lbs capacity, and plow ready now (finally).. the ride is oddly even better now than for the 2010, even with the higher capacity components.

One place where Ford seems to have out engineered GM on the 2011 frankly is the DEF (Urea) system... GM is having a lot of issues with VERY cold weather casuing the system to malfunction .. they're probably working on a recall to fix that now.. I'm on the duramax forum and quite a few owners are pissed about going into limp mode over this trivial issue. It's all a matter of provding better heating for weather below 12F. I posted a video on my youtube page of mine starting up fine at 12F after a two day cold soak, but guys in Canada where it's well below 0F are having the problems.

Jeffro... no worries, we don't want you to jeopardize your job, I would suppose that could be a "legal" issue.. peace.
I know this may raise new issue with the UREA system I know the Ford did the homework due they learn it from European side and Yes the Ford did have European verison for a while so they know what they up to the cold weather issue.

Someone mention to me the Ford did have combation of electric heat tape plus heated coolant to the UREA tank to keep it above the frezzing zone and I think the GM should do that the same route which they should learn something from large commercal trucks been doing for long time.

A simple thermosated controlled tank heater will go long way with it.

Merci.
Marc

·
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher
1,065 Posts
they actually do have heating of the lines and pump, but not the tank.. and that is the MAJOR problem.. I expect they will be doing a recall to install a heater soon.. they have no choice.
I have not see the 2011 Duramax truck yet but how well the tank is insluated ?

I know someway ford did manged to get plenty electric power to keep the lines thawed but the sump { tank } itself I am not sure if Ford did use both electric and coolant and I am not really suprised why Ford did go with super large alternator or dual altenrator { I think dual is pretty common items anyway}

Merci.
Marc

1 - 20 of 35 Posts