The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 84 f-350 6.9 idi with an ats turbo on it. From what i can tell its a non-wastegate turbo. After half throttle the ongoing chirping is crazy loud and wont stop till i let up on the pedal. It really doesn't pull very much either so i figured i have little to no boost. Unfourtunatly i dont have a boost guage. I'm not really familiar with these so let me know your thoughts...

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That make me think you could have a turbo wheel hitting the housing.
Hmmm. I'll check the shaft play tomorrow and see what I can find out. Thanks.

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked it out and there is a little play. Fired it up with the intake off and the wheel hesitated to get spinning. After a couple seconds it stayed spinning. Looking at the P/N: H730441, S/N: 011910. Thoughts?

·
2,063 Posts
If you caught it soon enough.... you could get by with just a rebuild kit. I would pull it apart and see what the problem is, before I bought any parts.

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you caught it soon enough.... you could get by with just a rebuild kit. I would pull it apart and see what the problem is, before I bought any parts.
I see. I've never had a turbo apart before or off the enginge for that matter. What am I looking for and how easy is it to get apart. Do i need to remove the whole turbo from the truck or just the housing? Thanks

·
2,063 Posts
I can not say I have ever worked on a 6.9 that had a turbo, I was under the impression they all came naturally aspirated, so I am assuming it has a ATS turbo kit.

I would pull the turbo off and see what model it is, there should be tags on the center section with make, model, and so on. If the wheel on either end has hit the housing it may need to be replaced. A little rub will leave a bright spot on the housing, a hit will damage the blades.

Also it is possible that the bearings are coked up to the point they will not turn free. So check it out or get someone to check it out. If that 6.9 came from the factory as a naturally aspirated engine, you should be able to go back to that for now.

·
49 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts