The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best headgaskets for an 03 6oh? From what I have read here in TDG, the victor Reintz& blackonx gaskets are not the answer. Would it be the "high performance" ones I see advertised, or Ford factory gaskets? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.:toytruck:happydance---Bob

·
1,324 Posts
Most of my research has lead to Ford OEM gaskets and ARP studs. I personally did not do my HG and cheated.

Reactions: broncobob

·
3,051 Posts
"Factory Ford OEM" headgaskets...best success rate so far

"Victor Reinz Black Onyx" headgaskets....they are trying to give these away...don't touch them...very high failure rate within low miles

"New Victor Reinz Black Diamond" headgaskets....totally redesigned product...looks like oem but has black sealant instead of blue...said to be as good or better than oem...but no real proven track record as of yet...to new yet to tell...but I'm betting these are a much more reliable product than the Black Onyx were

Harry

Reactions: broncobob

·
TDG Singles Outlaw #10
1,097 Posts
i got the Ford OEM with ARP studs... just didnt install them yet..:sleep

·
63 Posts
OEM's for sure....ARP's For sure... Also, don't forget to replace the oil cooler while at it. They do sludge up and get plugged on the coolant side...:thumbsup

·
Eddy
85 Posts
OEM ONLY! 11,000 miles since june 15, 2013. Been to Northern Ontario and back pulling 12k camper. No problems. Truck is running better and better each day I drive it.

·
1,324 Posts
Haven't heard from Broncobob in a while. Hoping he is doing ok. Been worried about him.

Glad your repair was a success Eddy!

Reactions: Eddy

·
Eddy
85 Posts
Thx. Could not have done it without all the help. On a side note. Talked to a family member last week. 17 inches of snow in 2days and - 25 LOL.

·
33 Posts
Have to go with OEM Gaskets and ARP Studs. Best way to do it. I just did mine still running strong.

·
721 Posts
I had OEM and studs fail but they were installed by Ford under warranty. While taking them apart I found the torque to be only about 160 lbs. Replaced with OEM again with the studs and everything looks good.

·
79 Posts
Head Gaskets

I was talking to the mechanic yesterday in preparation for having a valve job and he recommends using the stock head gaskets from Ford. He recommended a full page of upgrades, but said to keep the newly designed oil cooler and stay with stock gaskets.

·
3,051 Posts
Hopefully your current go will hold up.

A buddy of mine had the same experience as you with his first go around with dealer installed studs, they were all loose and blew the gaskets within less than a year, second go around with same studs and new oem hg's done properly have held for over 7 yrs now, and truck runs hot tuning daily with p-max turbo and tows very heavy ocassionally but loads a tow file.

Harry

·
5 Posts
I have used the Fel Pro MLS gaskets in a cpl customers trucks with zero problems.. Used them to replace factory Ford gaskets that were already studded .

·
3,051 Posts

·
79 Posts
I had ARP studs and OEM head gaskets installed two years ago. They were doing well until I had an unrelated issue two weeks ago and they had to be replaced again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts