The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site and first what to say hi to everyone. I have done some searching through the forums and haven't found an answer to the problem I am having with my tranny, so I thought I would ask. Starting from a stand still, when I release the clutch and it starts to engauge I hear a fairly loud high pitched metal on metal sound until the clutch is fully engauged. This happens wheather I start out in granny, 1st, 2nd or Rev. Once I am moving, I can shift through the gears and don't hear anything. If I start from a slight rolling start, it won't make any noise at all. I thought it might be the clutch, so I pulled the transmission out to change the clutch and the clutch assembly looks fine, throw out bearing is fine too. Now I am wondering if is something internally in the transmission making the noise. I drained the transmission fluid to look for metal shavings and everything looks clean. The truck has 152k on it and I am not hard on the transmission at all. I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas or something I should look at before I spend the money to have the transmission rebuilt.

Thanks,
-Mike

·
1,726 Posts
:welcome2: to the garage!!

I don't have an answer for your question but you will have some oppinions coming shortly. I gaurantee it. :Thumbup:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Do you rest your hand on the shifter?
A guy that used to drive truck for my dad made it a habit and what happens is it costantly over/under engages the gear and can ruin a tranny. Happened twice before he got the sack.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
powrstrkn' said:
Do you rest your hand on the shifter?
A guy that used to drive truck for my dad made it a habit and what happens is it costantly over/under engages the gear and can ruin a tranny. Happened twice before he got the sack.
The only time I keep my hand on the stick is when I am accelerating and know I will be shifting again shortly, other than that my arm is either on the wheel or the arm rest.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I opted to get a new transmission from the dealership. Every place I called around here locally was going to charge me between $1800 and $2000 to rebuild the transmission. A guy at work told me to check the price on a new transmission from the dealership, so I did. Come to find out, for an extra $900 I could get a new (or I think it's factory rebuilt) transmission with a 3yr./75k mi. parts and labor warrenty. The transmission from the dealership was $2736 (I called around to a few different dealerships and this was the lowest quoted price. This dealership deals alot with the fleet truck market, so I am guessing this had a lot to do with it since the next closest at the dealer was $3460). I didn't think that was a bad deal with that warrenty included.

Anyway, the new transmission is going in today along with my South Bend Con OFE that has about 30 miles on it.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
adrianspeeder said:
I see, let us know what the problem is with the old one for future reference.
Not really sure what exactly was wrong with the old transmission since I just swapped the entire transmission and took the core back to the dealer. I know the grinding sound had nothing to do with the clutch since I replaced all that, drove 30 miles or so and it what still doing the same thing. Now that I replaced the transmission it's not making the grinding noise anymore, so it had to be something internal in the trans. But since I didn't take the transmission apart, I can't say for sure what it was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts