The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on an 08 Western Star with a 60 series Detroit with EGR and DPF. It is a 06R0998711 engine. It has an active 3719 High Soot Level code. The engine runs for about 2 minutes and then shuts down. Connected to the engine with Detroit software to run a Parked Regeneration but apparently can't get the exhaust temp up high enough and the regen procedure aborts after about 12 minutes and throws a "3711 HIR Regeneration aborted - low exhaust temp" code. The engine then continues to run for about two minutes and then shuts down. It has a new intake throttle valve as the one it came in with was stuck. I looked at the catalyst in it and it is not all broken up and appears ok but had a fair amount of soot. I replaced the DOC inlet and outlet temp sensors along with the DPF outlet sensor and all are reading within 3 degrees of each other when the engine is cold. The exhaust system is good with no leaks. The CAC and intake system tested ok with no leaks. The exhaust temps get up to about 487 degrees when the procedure aborts. I ran the procedure today with an outside air temp of about 25 degrees and had the same results as when I tried last week when it was in the 50's here. The engine has had the ecm replaced within the last year due to a different problem. Anyone ever run into this before and have a solution?

·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem ended up being the doser valve. It was plugged so with no fuel being pumped into the exhaust the exhaust temps wouldn't get hot enough to do the regeneration. Once the nozzle was cleaned out it would do the regen and the high soot level code went inactive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm working on an 08 Western Star with a 60 series Detroit with EGR and DPF. It is a 06R0998711 engine. It has an active 3719 High Soot Level code. The engine runs for about 2 minutes and then shuts down. Connected to the engine with Detroit software to run a Parked Regeneration but apparently can't get the exhaust temp up high enough and the regen procedure aborts after about 12 minutes and throws a "3711 HIR Regeneration aborted - low exhaust temp" code. The engine then continues to run for about two minutes and then shuts down. It has a new intake throttle valve as the one it came in with was stuck. I looked at the catalyst in it and it is not all broken up and appears ok but had a fair amount of soot. I replaced the DOC inlet and outlet temp sensors along with the DPF outlet sensor and all are reading within 3 degrees of each other when the engine is cold. The exhaust system is good with no leaks. The CAC and intake system tested ok with no leaks. The exhaust temps get up to about 487 degrees when the procedure aborts. I ran the procedure today with an outside air temp of about 25 degrees and had the same results as when I tried last week when it was in the 50's here. The engine has had the ecm replaced within the last year due to a different problem. Anyone ever run into this before and have a solution?
After reading 100’s of post on this. I discover it is a fuel issue. Bio mass in the diesel is lowering the cetanerating and you are burning incompletely and making a sticky sludge that requires a hitter burn off temp Optimum cetane for a regen is 47 to 50. We are pumping 40 now

1 - 4 of 4 Posts