The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my job has a wide variety of trucks being put to work by fellow drivers. I can def say i wouldnt believe it till i saw it with my own eyes another guy and i both took trailers over to IA from IN and when we got there we were finishing up log books and wat not well i just happened to look at his odometer and it 650k i bought chit myself. He says he has had it since brand new and besides normal upkeep all the major things have been 1 turbo, 2 sets of injectors, 3 HPOP and 1 EGR and now its blocked off LOL So in conclusion thats one well used 6.0 Powerstroke

Reactions: harry6.0

·
855 Posts
Thats outstanding!!!! Wonder what his secret is????

·
227 Posts
Wow, that is awesome! I would like to know, what filters he used and what oil was used? Could you take a pic of the mileage?

·
1,211 Posts
I assume this is miles and not km?? Outstanding either way!

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep its miles. He just headed to Cal this week so when i see him back at the yard ill grab a shot of it for ya all.

·
525 Posts
650,000 miles is well within the design life of the motor.

The motor's design life (B50) is 350,000 to 375,000 miles for the IH version, which specified and published it.

The Ford version, with higher output, is expected to be lower.

However, in order to get a B50 with 350,000 miles, there have to be many units out there with way more to make up for the many that didn't make B10 spec.

It affirms my view that properly cared for and used in its intended application, the 6.0's basic components (block, piston, crank, connecting rod, heads, etc.) is capable of 1 million trouble free miles ONCE the initial bugs are worked out.

The bug list is long, from FICM to coolant sand, etc.

The other caveat --- this only applies to motors that are used without harmful / performance enhancing mods.

My 2005 6.0 have 275,000 miles to date, and it shows no sign of giving up.

I happen to know fleet managers who routinely get 500,000 miles out of gassers, and 1 million miles out of not as durable diesels like the MB Sprinter 5 cylinder.

By that standard, the 6.0 ought to be good for 1 million miles easy.

·
TDG MAFIA
1,270 Posts
I hope my truck makes it that far. I'm almost a 200k with no major issues!!!

·
120 Posts
Only 67,000 KMs here. LOL

I'm in this for the long haul.

·
3,051 Posts
Thanks Sootbandit. That bit of info gives all us 6.0 owners a sliver of hope. The best thing for any diesel is to be driven/worked steady. Like most people, I love my truck when all is good. But start doubting it when all is not.

Harry

·
HalfAst Racing
456 Posts
i think thats a new record....shop nearby had one in with over 400k and i thought that was unheard of.definitely few and far between.then again the 6.0 hasnt really been out that long.

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As promised boys there is hope for you all LOL just had to give ya a little. A little history on truck 2006 F350 Crew Cab 2wd Auto and this was the current mileage as of tues afternoon. The major breaks he has had..

1. 2 turbo failures
2. 2 HPOP
3. 1 set of injectors

The thing that shocked me was he swears it has the stock head gaskets never had a problem so he never ****** with them and the auto has only been serviced and flushed. Other than those few things he has had minor repairs and replacement parts. But once again enjoy if you have any questions feel free to ask and ill ask him for ya.

ATTACH]28206[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Reactions: harry6.0

·
3,306 Posts
damn...it would take me an eternity to hit that mileage with my truck. Mine is 7.5 years old and only has 63K miles....haha.

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
damn...it would take me an eternity to hit that mileage with my truck. Mine is 7.5 years old and only has 63K miles....haha.
he was looking at a 6.4 but i think he has made his mind up on a 6.7 ford. He has the money to buy cash outright a brand new ford so he might he said and not stop driving the ford until it just wont go anymore

·
227 Posts
do you know if it is using(burning) any oil between oil changes? He might be the first person to hit 1 million miles on a 6.0L.

·
Built Not Bought
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
do you know if it is using(burning) any oil between oil changes? He might be the first person to hit 1 million miles on a 6.0L.
I will find out for ya.

·
Banned
6,478 Posts
It would be real interesting to know the rest of the repair history on the truck. Suspension and drive line beyond just the solid 6.0. I'd don't expect you to find out, just that it would be interesting to know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts