The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Code on the scanner is : 128 022 11 SID "Engine #1 - Timing Sensor Failure Mode Not Identifiable"

Is this code due to the head being removed and the timing not being recalibrated, or is the cam sensor failing?

If I clear the code, it will pop right back on.

·
11 Posts
timing calibration

Cat book recommends that any time the head is removed and the timing disturbed that you should recal the timing. That being said I have gotten away with not doing it several times when I was in BFE and didn't have the proper tooling to do so. In my experience if that code flags after cylinder head removal, remove the peanut cover and check the pin timing, you will likely find it is off by about 2/3 of a tooth or more. You can often manipulate/re-adjust idler shaft and make it better, this can make the code go away without doing a recal. Hope this helps.

MZ

·
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed the peanut cover and retarded the cam by one tooth from where is was. Pin timed it was beyond the timing mark by almost a full tooth. Once I retarded it one tooth to just before the timing mark, the code hasn't come back on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts