The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 F250 a/c is starting to act up. The a/c blows very cold then starts to blow warm then hot air. If I rev up the engine the a/c starts to blow cold again. This repeated time after time today with the temperature above 90. Could the cause possibly be the fan/serpentine belt is worn??? What else should I look at to figure out what the cause is.

Thanks in advance

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
When its blowing warm is the clutch for the compressor engaging?

Reactions: easy money

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
When it starts to blow warm the clutch has stopped.
Then my guess would be thats your problem. Either the refridgerant is low, or the compressor is shot.

Reactions: ffes5

·
1,700 Posts
When it starts to blow warm the clutch has stopped.
If you had a low charge your compressor would cycle on/off more frequently or rapidly, You are saying the compressor just stops. There should be some tests done to electrical side of the A/C system ( relay, cycle switch etc...) but if you had a test lamp you could verify power to the A/C clutch at the compressor when the problem occurs. If you still have power at the clutch field coil then I would suspect the clutch field coil has become weak (most likely your problem).

The clutch can be replaced seperately from the compressor too. The air gap between the clutch pulley and hub could be too large also (you want the gap as close as possible without rubbing) a new clutch will come with shims/washers to set the air gap. If you replace the clutch it can be done with simple hand tools and no need to discharge A/C or remove the compressor.

Reactions: ffes5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts