The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend has had his 7.3 for about 5 years and it has 210XXX miles. now he wants to get a tuner. i told him i like my sct that i have for my 6.0. is there any tuner out there that might be better for a 7.3? just wondering what you think.

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
There are a host of tuners available.

The 7.3 has more options than the 6.0's though since they can use programmers, flip chips, PCM flashes, etc.

There are several vendors here @ TDG who offer 7.3 tuning and there are more discussions than could ever be covered in a succinct response.

I suggest your friend do some reading, call a few guys who offer tuning, and make his educated decision based upon his needs and desires.

You'll get a lot of opinions on which to use, but the traditional canned tunes available on 7.3 programmers are the ones you want to steer your friend away from.

Go with someone reputable. Preferably a TDG vendor.

prt

·
The one and only
410 Posts
The best tuning you can get for a 7.3 will be on a TS Style chip. But get a custom tune from any number of good tuners out there.

If you would like a list PM me.

·
8,265 Posts
Like Ray (plainredtruck) said...there are a host of options out there for the 7.3L truck. What does your friend wish to achieve...more power, mileage, racing, all the above.

And lastly...be awfully aware of cheerleaders who will proclaim something is the best and poo-poo all others. Best is highly subjective. What is best is what works best for YOU!

·
The one and only
410 Posts
And lastly...be awfully aware of cheerleaders who will proclaim something is the best and poo-poo all others. Best is highly subjective. What is best is what works best for YOU!
I know that is directed to me :haha

Only one I don't like is DP Tuner I will come right out and tell you that.

All the others I hear great things about. I have ran DP-Tuner, TS, and Matt's from Gearhead. And I like Matt's the best. But I have a friend that runs Bills tunes from PHP in his truck and I like them also. Have also been in a truck with TW Tunes and David from DI's tunes with no complaints they ran really smooth. I have not been around Swamps Tunes but I hear good things.

So there is a list. I dont know who all is sponsors here though so if you want more contact info on any of them just let me know and I will get it for you in a PM

If I had the chance I would have a chip from every tuner out there just so I could say who I liked best

·
8,265 Posts

·
6,337 Posts
Ran them all other then Matt and PHP...

Swamps is whats in my truck now, Elite is in the wifes Excursion, I have a chip with DI tunes, another with TS tunes and one with Tonys tunes... I think there are a few others in my tool box too...LOL

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
DP Tuner here and I love it, Jody is a great guy....at least have your friend call them and talk about what he wants.

·
The one and only
410 Posts
:cheerleader:cheerleader If the skirt fits :haha
I didn't know giving a list of good tuners was cheerleading :poke

Ran them all other then Matt and PHP...

Swamps is whats in my truck now, Elite is in the wifes Excursion, I have a chip with DI tunes, another with TS tunes and one with Tonys tunes... I think there are a few others in my tool box too...LOL
If I had the time and money I would love to try everyone's tunes.

DP Tuner here and I love it, Jody is a great guy....at least have your friend call them and talk about what he wants.
:cheerleader:cheerleader:cheerleader :haha

·
6,337 Posts
I didn't know giving a list of good tuners was cheerleading :poke

If I had the time and money I would love to try everyone's tunes.

:cheerleader:cheerleader:cheerleader :haha

I had a connection and aquired a few blanks...:thumbsup

·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i told him to research it like you all said and he was lazy and bought the first one he came across. he ended up getting a bully dog off ebay. i hate it when people ask for my help and don't even consider what i tell them.

·
The one and only
410 Posts
well i told him to research it like you all said and he was lazy and bought the first one he came across. he ended up getting a bully dog off ebay. i hate it when people ask for my help and don't even consider what i tell them.
:haha Just sit back and say "I told you so" after he gets it and don't like it.

·
8,265 Posts

·
812 Posts
a kid i know, who knows nothing about diesels asked about chips. so we sent over an hour showing him all the chips to buy. so he went down to the local so called diesel experts shop and within a half hour bought a superchits because it was the "best chip you can buy for the powerstroke"

·
The one and only
410 Posts
a kid i know, who knows nothing about diesels asked about chips. so we sent over an hour showing him all the chips to buy. so he went down to the local so called diesel experts shop and within a half hour bought a superchits because it was the "best chip you can buy for the powerstroke"
And this is why I don't even help people anymore. They are going to do what they want. Even though you have been down that road and tell them.

·
8,265 Posts
And this is why I don't even help people anymore. They are going to do what they want. Even though you have been down that road and tell them.
I am just the opposite. If somebody asks for my help or my opinion (or even doesn't ask for it :haha ) I will do what I can. If they still choose to do something different...it matters none to me. I did my part...

·
626 Posts
I am just the opposite. If somebody asks for my help or my opinion (or even doesn't ask for it :haha ) I will do what I can. If they still choose to do something different...it matters none to me. I did my part...
I try to be helpful as well, but when confronted with ignorance on the level of the kid who came up to me at the pump two days ago while I was fueling and asked "Yo dude--do you have the Banks on that truck?", there's nothing I can do except :bang and then :haha:haha:haha:haha

·
8,265 Posts
John...you should have just asked why would you want to put that "overpriced crap" on your truck. LOL LOL then walk away...

·
The one and only
410 Posts
I try to be helpful as well, but when confronted with ignorance on the level of the kid who came up to me at the pump two days ago while I was fueling and asked "Yo dude--do you have the Banks on that truck?", there's nothing I can do except :bang and then :haha:haha:haha:haha
That is exactly the kind of people I am tired of. Or the people that come up to man and ask if my truck smokes. :bang

1 - 20 of 34 Posts