The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the problems with the oil systems on a 7.3 PSD limiting them. Why cant you build a 7.3 IDI and run billet rods, drop the compression. Build a new intake system. Mod the sticks, and mod the pump and set it up like a old 12v cummins with a monster turbo?? Am I missing something here?? sounds too simple.

hmmmmmm:poke:

·
here
321 Posts
I don't know if idi heads could make the power, but I never could see why the high horse 7.3 di guys never did do away with the Heui and convert over to an injection pump and standard injectors. maybe there isn't an 8 cyl. pump out there capable of the needs. :shrug:

·
here
321 Posts
Keep us informed, what direction are you going, and with what components. I am interested in how it turns out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
When do you think you will begin this build because I too am very interested in seeing something like that.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now In the shop I have a 77 f150 4x4 frame off in the works for a guy. My 79 shortbed, I am going to put a new tranny in it and install oil retrictors in the 547. My 94 mud drag truck which all I really need to do is reassemble the front clip and finish building the headers and set up a rear axle and build a new driveshaft. I promised myself I would get these done before I tore into the 97psd. But I dont think its going to happen. Ohh yea, I am building another 557 for a guy in my house garage. Whew... I wish I didnt have to go to work.... haha I oculd get alot more done around here. I plan on pulling apart a 7.3 IdI this weekend to do some research.

·
Sperm Donor
432 Posts
You will definately need a different injection pump. The pump I have on my 6.5 is very similar in output to the 7.3 pump and I can tell you right now it's deffinately not enough fuel. I often wondered if an IP off of a 3208 CAT would work? It's 8 cyl and an inline type of pump.

·
Registered
268 Posts
One other major problem is the injection style, being indirect it will never make the power the direct injection will make. That is the main reason you can just turn the fuel up and be like a cummins with an old 7.3.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to machine a a 1.5 to 2" blank hole into the head. Heat the head in a oven and drop in a blank plug (Basicly how cylinder head people repair them) then re-machine the head and move the injector tip closer to the center of the cylinder. Basicly eliminate the pre-chamber. I am thinking that just for the simplicity of the IDI head. Along with the room in the chamber for larger valves. The IDI already uses a much larger intake valve and almost the same size exhaust as the DI head. Remember when we talked about the problems with a adjustable valvetrain in a PSD? I want to try it. But I am for sure going to see if I can make the head work before I drop some serious cash for an injection system.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
The pump used on the 6.9L/7.3L IDI engines IS available with far more output, "simply" by changing some internal parts (cam).

IDI engines are limited to around 35 HP/L, even turbo'd due to smoke and burn rates.

DI engines can easily see 100 HP/L with a turbo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
guys can someone tell me where to get bigger injectors for my 7.3 idi? i cant seem to find them newhere.....just ordered pyro, transtemp, and water temp autometers and im turnin up the pump and maybe pump timing =)

1990 f-250 7.3 idi

keep on with the black smoke!

·
Registered
9 Posts
why cant you set everything up like a tractor motor, big heads and drop the compression? i dont see the problem with doing that...all us idi guys would need is $...i want my truck to be runnin with the powerstroke boys and im sure most of us want the same.....give me some input and im going to talk to the local machine shop about some head ideas....

1990 7.3, pyro, transtemp, beefed up e4od, soon propane and turbo:Thumbup:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Bighannaconda7.3 said:
guys can someone tell me where to get bigger injectors for my 7.3 idi? i cant seem to find them newhere.....just ordered pyro, transtemp, and water temp autometers and im turnin up the pump and maybe pump timing =)
Here http://www.dps-performance.com/

·
"PUSHIN GAS KICKIN AZZ"
30 Posts
I ordered my IP from DPS and I am pleased with it. The truck is alot faster and smoother. Whats the word on trying to redesign those idid heads and plug the pre chambers? Cause I was thinking the same thing the other day just sitting around brain storming on the truck for performance stuff. :Thumbup: :HappyMugs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any updates BogginF350? did the machining go through well?

·
455 Posts
dieseldummy said:
You will definately need a different injection pump. The pump I have on my 6.5 is very similar in output to the 7.3 pump and I can tell you right now it's deffinately not enough fuel. I often wondered if an IP off of a 3208 CAT would work? It's 8 cyl and an inline type of pump.
will this work? i have 7.3 idis and i want to build up both of them, but one i want to get as much power as possible and make it almost bullet proof. i really dont care how much its guna cost

·
Registered
349 Posts
Alright I have the bigger pump and injectors from dps performance and there is a BIG difference. However dps is slow and hard to get a hold of.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts